- Offices & Services
- Becker Career Center
- Alumni Jobs Bulletin
- Alumni Job Listings
- Office Manager/Bookkeeper
Albany, NY - Posted on: Monday 09/12/16
The Mohawk Hudson Land Conservancy (MHLC) is a land trust working to conserve open space and natural habitats across a three county region of New York State; Albany, Schenectady and Montgomery counties. We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a commitment to conservation who is interested in growing with the organization. The Office Manager/Bookkeeper position will be part time at approximately 20 hours per week and report to the Executive Director.
The Position will have a variety of responsibilities and will have a critical role in supporting all MHLC programs. Primary activities will include bookkeeping using Quickbooks software and assisting with budgeting and other aspects of the organization’s financial management including the annual audit. The ideal candidate will be experienced in handling a wide range of administrative and executive support related tasks and will be able to work independently with little or no supervision. This person must be exceedingly well organized, flexible and enjoy the administrative challenges of supporting a small nonprofit office. Other responsibilities will include:
Maintaining the office by organizing office operations; preparing payroll; assisting with correspondence; designing and maintaining filing systems; monitoring quantities and ordering office supplies; assisting with other clerical functions;
Providing general support to visitors;
Supporting outreach efforts and events;
Maintaining the organization’s new Environmental Calendar;
And contributing to team effort by accomplishing other tasks as needed
A successful applicant must have excellent written and verbal skills, be well organized and maintain attention to details. The position will require occasional evening and weekend work.
We are seeking a candidate for this position who can work cheerfully with a wide range of varied tasks. Experience working for a conservation organization is beneficial but not required. Occasional outside activities such as hiking on MHLC preserves and visiting conservation lands may be required. Salary commensurate with experience.
Technical training will be provided by staff as well as through outside professional resources as needed.
a. Produce monthly financial reports for board meetings
b. Work closely with treasurer to track income and expenses
c. Assist with annual budget preparation
d. Payroll: submit and process payroll and perform other HR tasks
e. Track restricted funds and grant funding
f. Make weekly deposits
g. Assist in preparation and review of annual audit h. Work closely with Development Director to track fundraising income and provide development reports asneeded
2. Conservancy Office Support
a. Maintain files: Assist with the organization of office files and records, including property tax exemption files.
b. Document preparation: Assist in preparing and organizing a variety of board materials.
c. General office: Answer phones and maintain supplies. Coordinate office and assist with correspondence.
d. Assist with database management including Etapestry and volunteer database.
e. Assemble and distribute Board materials in advance of Board meetings
3. Land Trust Alliance Standards and Practices
a. Accreditation standards: Become knowledgeable in the Standards and Practices necessary to maintain Land Trust accreditation.
b. Accreditation maintenance: Assist in maintaining accreditation standards for the organization.
1. Passion for land conservation and interest in learning more about how land trusts build community and connect people to land.
2. Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office and Quickbooks. Willingness to learn new programs as needed. Programs frequently used include Etapestry, Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat Pro. A basic understanding of social media and website familiarity are desirable.
3. Relevant academic training in finance or accounting. Previous experience in finance and/or office management.
4. Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated and a self-starter with a flair for dealing with diverse stakeholders. Ability to organize and set work priorities in a busy office environment. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
5. Ability to perform a variety of tasks, working both independently and as part of a team.
6. Must be able to provide own transportation to provide for occasional office needs and attend meetings and various special events (mileage reimbursed).
A benefit package is available including vacation and holidays, sick leave, retirement account contributions after one year of service.
Salary commensurate with experience.
For more information or to submit a resume and cover letter contact: Mark King, Executive Director Mohawk Hudson Land Conservancy 425 Kenwood Avenue Delmar, NY 12054 or electronically: firstname.lastname@example.org