- Offices & Services
- Becker Career Center
- Alumni Jobs Bulletin
- Alumni Job Listings
- Office of Sustainability Coordinator and Campus Farm Manager
Office of Sustainability Coordinator and Campus Farm Manager
Greencastle, IN - Posted on: Wednesday 10/19/16
The Office of Sustainability Coordinator and Campus Farm Manager will assist DePauw's sustainability director with Office of Sustainability initiatives. The coordinator supports the overall mission and implementation of DePauw's Sustainability Leadership Program (50%), including primary coordination of The Thrifty Tiger, DePauw Conservation Challenge, student initiatives within the Solid Waste Working Group, and annual retreat and outreach events. The employee will also manage the DePauw Campus Farm (45%), which will include planting, growing, and harvesting of crops at the one-acre vegetable garden and surrounding property, as well as coordinating volunteer and educational activities and maintaining the budget. He/she will also assist Campus Life (5%) with initiatives like "Summer at DePauw" camps.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Assist the Office of Sustainability Director with campus-wide sustainability initiatives
- Co-lead three weekly Sustainability Leadership Program student meetings
- Serve as primary advisor of the student-run thrift shop, The Thrifty Tiger
- Coordinate and organize zero waste initiatives with Bon Apptit
- Coordinate student initiatives within the Solid Waste Working Group faculty/staff committee
- Manage the student-run residence hall energy reduction initiative, the DePauw Conservation Challenge
- Co-present at regional high schools as part of the Sustainability Leadership Education Initiative
- Plan the annual DePauw Sustainably Leadership Institute for high school students
- Plan the annual DePauw Sustainability Leadership Retreat
- Serve as primary advisor of DePauw Environmental Club
- Oversee all student interns and volunteers who work throughout all stages of the farming process at DePauw Campus Farm
- Manage growing of seeds at Manning Field Station
- Plant crops at the DePauw Campus Farm
- Research and maintain soil quality in coordination with faculty, students, and Nature Park staff
- Coordinate harvesting and selling/donating of produce to Bon Apttit and Greencastle Emergency Food Pantry
- Coordinate DePauw Campus Farm budget and process invoices
- Provide education activities and lessons to DePauw classes, student organizations, and local community groups
- Expand growing season and/or acreage of the DePauw Campus Farm as appropriate and in coordination with Faculty and Nature Park staff to meet University goals
- Collaborate with the Faculty Sustainability Coordinator and the Energy and Sustainability Engineer
- Assist with Campus Life staff initiatives, particularly with Summer at DePauw initiatives
- Serve on Student Academic Life Committees as needed
- Complete other duties as assigned
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: Minimum Bachelor's Degree required.
Experience: Prefer individuals who have managed undergraduate college students and who thrive when teaching/empowering/mentoring others. Prefer previous experience working on farms or large vegetable gardens. Prefer individuals familiar with organic farming techniques. Prefer individuals who have managed a budget/submitted invoices.
Computer Skills: Prefer experience with Microsoft Office, Google Drive, Adobe InDesign
- Must be detail-oriented and organized
- Must be able to relate well with others and be a motivated individual.
- Must thrive when teaching new and inexperienced volunteers
- Must be flexible, especially when urgent requests arise.
- Must be willing to learn and use proper farming techniques.
Please visit https://depauw.applicantpro.com/jobs/470054.html