- Becker Career Center
- Outreach Specialist, Independent Living Center of the Hudson Valley (ILCHV), Troy, NY
Troy, NY - Posted: 01/04/17 | SHARE:
The Independent Living Center of the Hudson Valley (ILCHV) is a disability rights organization that is led by and inspires people with disabilities to achieve self-determination and advocates for an integrated society. Services are designed to assist individuals with disabilities to gain greater control over their own lives. ILCHV was recently awarded funding through the New York State Office for the Aging to expand the availability of services for people with disabilities that will prevent institutionalization. ILCHV is seeking an Outreach Specialist to serve Rensselaer, Greene and Columbia counties.
Under the direction of the Regional Coordinator, the Outreach Specialist will:
- Work closely with other NY Connects staff in the region to identify resources that support living in the community;
- Outreach to disability agencies, health care providers, hospital social workers, personal care assistance programs, and other agencies that serve people with disabilities in order to make the NY Connects services known to places where people with disabilities utilize services;
- Using a person centered assistance/options counseling approach, meet with consumers and caregivers to assist in identifying the need for long term services that will enable them to remain in the community;
- Provide information and assistance in securing needed services and ensure safe transitions for individuals transitioning from one setting to another;
- Attend all mandated NY Connects training;
- Actively participate in all Long Term Care Council meetings, as well as other county or region specific meetings that seek to coordinate services for individuals with disabilities.
- Bachelor’s degree and three years experience working with individuals with disabilities or six years of such experience;
- Knowledge of community resources;
- Experience providing person centered assistance/options counseling;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work independently in the field as well as part of a team;
- Highly organized; demonstrated ability to complete required reporting on time;
- Personal experience with disabilities.
This position is full time (37 ½ hours per week); it is expected the individual will travel up to 50% of the time. The salary is $35,000; we offer health insurance and paid vacation and sick leave.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to Tina McQuiston, TMcQuiston@ilchv.org NY Connects Regional Coordinator, ILCHV, 15-17 Third Street, Troy NY 12180 no later than January 16, 2017.