- Becker Career Center
- Policy Advisor, Office of the New York State Attorney General (OAG), New York, NY
New York, NY - Posted: 11/01/16 | SHARE:
The Director of Strategic Initiatives (DSI) for the Office of the New York State Attorney General (OAG) is seeking to hire a Policy Advisor to assist with various change management and business analysis projects.
The Division of Administration is responsible for all aspects of the OAG’s human capital strategy, financial administration, information technology and facilities. The Director of Strategic Initiatives is responsible for helping to implement transformational change through projects that promote cross-divisional coordination, improve customer service to the public and OAG employees, attain cost-savings, facilitate digitization, and empower employees. The position will provide the unique opportunity to learn about and actively participate in the management and business operations of a large law firm that is also a government agency.
Current initiatives include operational and customer service improvements, implementing new strategies for information gathering and data sharing, enterprise process standardization, introduction of new systems and databases, connecting bureaus with overlapping functions to ensure the most effective use of resources, and ensuring reliable and consistent outcomes.
Duties & Assignments
The Policy Advisor will report directly to the DSI and provide project management, analytical and technical assistance for planning, coordinating and implementing projects that span all divisions and levels of the OAG.
Job responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
• Perform functional analysis of the client’s current state with the goal of identifying, facilitating and reengineering business processes;
• Develop a working (not expert) knowledge of the technology being used and/or proposed, including the relevant methodologies, processes and/or standards, so as to give him/her the capability to question the specialists and/or technical staff towards a reasonable resolution of the issue(s) at hand;
• Generate various project-related documents including presentations, charts, tables, meeting documents and diagrams; conduct reviews for scope, business justification, and requirements deliverables including use cases, prototypes and business rules;
• Work with subject matter experts and technical analysts to preview test plans and scenarios to help ensure an accurate and effective product;
• Document and track the status of client inquiries, enhancement requests, change requests and review defects produced during testing;
• Assist the DSI with monitoring the project team’s progress and prioritizing work to meet milestones and complete deliverables throughout the project lifecycle; and
• Attend, and possibly lead, various project-related meetings.
• A Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of three (3) years of relevant professional experience is required; a Master’s Degree is preferred.
• Prior work experience in a similar role supporting operational change in a government, consulting, technology or law firm context;
• Experience evaluating business requirements and working with subject matter experts and technical analysts to translate client feedback into a functional design;
• Ability to support and prioritize multiple, simultaneous project activities involving complex, interdisciplinary change management to meet target deadlines;
• Experience communicating to groups that have competing perspectives as well as the ability to work collaboratively and form working relationships with staff members from all levels;
• Creative thinker who is able to recommend innovative approaches and solutions to intricate problems;
• Familiarity with analytics tools (e.g., SPSS, JMP, Crystal Reports and Tableau);
• Self-motivated, driven, results and commitment oriented; and
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
To apply, please click on this link: DADM_NYC_PA_6032; applicants will be taken to the online application page for this position. Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
• Cover Letter (You may address to Sandra Jefferson Grannum, Esq., Bureau Chief, Legal Recruitment);
• Writing Sample; and
• List of three (3) references with contact information and email addresses. Please note: Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your application. If you have questions about a position with the OAG, the application process or assistance with submitting your application, please contact the Legal Recruitment Bureau via email at email@example.com. For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov.