Program Coordinator, Honors College
Albany, NY - Posted: 11/10/16 | SHARE:
About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany's broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages a diverse student body of more than 17,300 students in eight schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State's capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the Adirondacks.
About the Honors College:
The Honors College is a community of developing scholars that includes some of the best teaching professors and some of the most promising and accomplished students at UAlbany (http://www.albany.edu/honorscollege/). Founded in 2006, the College provides an academic home to approximately 400 students, with 40-50 graduating each year after having completed a rigorous curriculum and a research project in the departmental honors program in each student's major. Students also participate in a wide array of co-curricular activities that range from academic and cultural events, to community-building experiences, to peer mentoring opportunities, to opportunities to conduct and present research. The mission of the Honors College prioritizes the recruitment and the retention of talented students, the creation of a challenging and stimulating academic environment, the direct involvement of faculty as mentors, the provision of a rigorous and structured curriculum, the cultivation of links to departmental honors programs, the preparation of students to be competitive for scholarships and admission to graduate and professional schools, and the recognition and accommodation of a variety of ways students can demonstrate high-level academic achievement.
The University at Albany is seeking an experienced and highly responsible staff professional to be the Senior Staff Assistant to the Dean of the Honors College. The person in this position must exercise sound and independent judgment in support of the Dean and students in the Honors College. Areas of support involve academic programming, student advisement, budget planning, financial management, and overall administrative support. The person will be expected to:
- Represent the Dean and the college in a professional manner, by making thorough evaluations and decisions regarding student admissions into the Honors College, scholarship eligibility and awards, and by providing critical academic advisement to students across all majors and minors at the university, from freshmen year to Honors graduation
- Conduct research, collect information and data, prepare various reports, and present findings to management and multiple stakeholders and constituencies throughout the university
- Update various academic and college policies, procedures and publications
- Supervise residential-life staff members and student assistants working in the Honors College's student residence hall
- Be a problem-solver, well-organized, efficient, and capable of prioritizing multiple tasks and requests at the same time
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills to able to effectively interact with various constituencies, including students, parents, families, prospective students, the community at-large, faculty, and fellow staff members
The Senior Staff Assistant's varied functions help create an active and supportive Honors College and open students' academic and career pathways. This person will be an integral part of students' life-changing educational and career decisions. The Senior Staff Assistant's work will be supervised by the Dean, and will also have checks and balances as s/he coordinates work with other staff members within Undergraduate Education.
- A Bachelor's Degree from a college or university accredited by the US Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization
- Five years of professional experience working at a college or university, in an academic and/or student support services role
- Demonstrated experience in the areas of budget and financial management
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks in a fast paced environment
- The ability to maintain customized databases, and collect data related to the reporting and operational needs of the university and the Honors College
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including excellent presentation skills in a diverse environment
- Strong computer silks and experience working with the Microsoft Office suite
- Experience developing and/or maintaining a website
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- The ability to work some nights and weekends
- Applicants must address in their applications their ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Master's Degree from a college or university accredited by the US Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization
- Experience working with and advising Honors program students
- Experience with event planning
Professional Rank and Salary Range: Senior Staff Assistant, SL-3
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University's crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University's current campus security policies. The University at Albany's Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER
Please apply online via http://albany.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=77790
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Cover letter stating all the required minimum qualifications and any of the applicable preferred qualifications
- A list of three professional references
Note: After submitting your resume, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Returning Applicants - Login to your U-Albany Careers Account to check your completed application.
Closing date for receipt of applications: December 9, 2016