Amsterdam, NY - Posted on: Friday 09/16/16
The QA Specialist on 3rd Shift, reporting to the Director of Quality Assurance, is responsible for monitoring, maintaining and
continuous improvement of the Beech-Nut Quality Management System (QMS). Position supports the quality function by providing
day to day technical expertise from raw material sourcing through distribution of finished goods with a relentless focus on food
safety by adhering to policies, specifications and standards. Cross-functionally works in collaboration with R&D/Technical Services,
Regulatory, Strategic Sourcing, Manufacturing, Engineering and Customer Logistics. Position is located at the Amsterdam, New York LEED® certified production facility.
1. Performs pre-operational sanitation inspections and ATP swabbing; assist with USDA pre-operation inspections
2. Supports continuous improvement of Quality Management System (QMS) programs.
3. Assists with the management of the following programs:
a. Corrective and Preventative Action(CAPA)
b. Third party audit compliance e.g. BRC, Kosher, Organic, customer, etc.
c. Regulatory agencies e.g. FDA, USDA, NYS Ag. & Markets
d. Internal auditing
e. Pest control
f. Crisis management
g. Annual quality management review
h. Supplier scorecard
i. Complaint investigation (customer/consumer)
4. Leads risk inventory control process of raw materials/finished goods.
5. Lead the Environmental Monitoring Program – Sample collection, testing, compile data, perform trend analysis and communicate the findings.
6. Assists with QA records review, retention and hold and release programs.
7. Assists sanitation team to insure compliance with all Sanitation programs.
8. Assists with educating organization on quality related trainings.
9. Prepare samples for testing at outside labs and to meet customer requirements.
10. Effectively identifies and communicates quality issues in a timely manner.
11. Collaborate with R&D and technical services on the development of new product specifications and the scale up of products from pilot to full scale manufacturing.
12. Collaborates with R&D and Technical Services on the development and maintenance of HAACP systems.
13. Provides technical expertise and troubleshooting guidance.
14. Challenges specification and processes with quality engineering principles.
15. Supports quality KPI’s across the organization.
16. Provides a strong voice and advocates for Quality across the organization.
* Bachelor’s degree in related field (Food Science, Technology, Engineering) or
* Associates degree in related field (Food Science, Technology, Engineering) with 2+ years experience in Quality Assurance working in a
high speed manufacturing environment or
* 5+ years relevant experience in Quality Assurance working in food manufacturing industry.
* Experience in high speed food manufacturing industry preferred.
* Experience in the development, implementation and continuous improvement of Quality Management Systems.
* Knowledge of the principles and practices of food safety.
* Knowledge of food microbiology, food chemistry, and food label regulation required.
* Good understanding of HACCP, GMP, SSOP, Sanitation Performance Standards (SPS) and FDA & USDA regulations and requirements.
* Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook).
* HAACP Certification
* Lean Certification
* Internal Auditor
* Experience using ERP systems (ex. SAP, Oracle)
* Excellent collaborative management skills.
* Excellent listening, communication and interpersonal skills.
* Exceptional problem solving skills.
* Proven influencing, negotiating and conflict management skills.
* Ability to manage a dynamic environment with a high degree of complexity.
* General business acumen.
* Strong attention to detail and results orientation.
* Proactive approach to issue/opportunity identification and resolution.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills.
* Flexibility in assigned shift schedule.
Most job functions are performed in a well-lit, environmentally controlled office environment. Employee will be required to work in an environment that requires hairnet, beard cover, safety glasses, hearing protection and lab coat. Restrictions include wearing of jewelry, nail polish and acrylic nails. Other personal protection equipment may be required for certain tasks.
Please visit http://www.beechnut.com/contact/#careers
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
As an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer, Beech-Nut Nutrition Company will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.