- Becker Career Center
- Research Scientist I - Medicinal Chemistry, Albany Molecular Research Inc., Rensselaer, NY
Research Scientist I - Medicinal Chemistry
Rensselaer, NY - Posted: 11/10/16 | SHARE:
Albany Molecular Research Inc. provides global contract research and manufacturing services to the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries.
The Research Scientist I is expected to demonstrate expertise in both the theoretical and practical aspects of organic chemistry. Principal responsibility is the synthesis, purification, and identification of chemical intermediates and target compounds. A major component in the scientist's performance rating will be based on productivity.
- Synthesize known compounds efficiently using literature or in-house notebook procedures.
- Under supervisory direction, synthesize new compounds by making appropriate modifications of known methods. The range of reaction types handled capably by the scientist will be significant.
- Modify reaction conditions in order to improve yields (design of new or alternate reaction sequences is not a normal expectation, but will enhance the performance evaluation of the scientist).
- Purify synthesized chemicals to an appropriate degree. The scientist will be able to use the full range of chromatographic, crystallization, and distillation techniques.
- Analyze and identify compounds using a good range of modern separation and spectroscopic techniques. This will include interpretation of TLC, HPLC, polarimetry, IR, and NMR spectra of moderate complexity.
- Conduct literature searches for specific target compounds, structures related to the target compound, or to determine specific conditions for compounds and reactions.
- Organize work time so that several reactions are run concurrently. Use time efficiently to produce target compounds and perform other tasks.
- Recommend and implement methods to increase the quality of products and/or services.
- Keep accurate, legible and complete records of all experiments and observations.
- Submit acceptable written periodic reports. Prepare summaries of experimental findings reliably and independently.
- Discuss routinely with supervisor the status of assigned programs and potential problems. The latter is especially important in cases where the scientist may be unfamiliar with the reagents or conditions to be employed.
- Communicate orally and in writing unexpected occurrences which could adversely effect established timetables.
- Manage workload and time to enable the incumbent to perform multiple projects effectively, and ensure all necessary paperwork is completed on a timely basis.
- Conduct laboratory operations in a safe manner. Maintain familiarity with the Chemical Hygiene Plan. Exhibit safety awareness and safe work practices.
- Follow responsible actions regarding chemical disposal. Maintain compliance with all regulations at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Practice preventive maintenance on laboratory equipment and replenish laboratory supplies as stock depletes to prevent laboratory “down-time.”
- Volunteer to assist with tasks not directly related to specific projects.
Education and/or Experience
• Bachelors or Masters Degree with major in chemistry or equivalent industrial experience