- Union College Home
- Offices & Services
- Becker Career Center
- Alumni Jobs Bulletin
- Alumni Job Listings
Albany or New York, NY - Posted on: Monday 08/01/16
About Research Foundation for SUNY System:
The Research Foundation for The State University of New York (RF) is the largest, most comprehensive university-connected research foundation in the country.
Serving SUNY and New York State, the RF provides essential services to SUNY faculty, students and staff who are performing life-changing research in life sciences and medicine; engineering and nanotechnology; physical sciences and energy; social sciences; and computer and information sciences. More than 15,000 dedicated RF employees work on SUNY-led research, training and public service projects throughout New York, across the country and around the world.
This position is being offered through the Research Foundation for SUNY at the Charter Schools Institute in Albany. The Charter Schools Institute was established by the Board of Trustees of the State University of New York (SUNY) in February 1999 and is charged with carrying out its responsibilities under the New York Charter Schools Act of 1998 (Article 56 of the New York Education Law).
The Senior Analyst at SUNY's Charter Schools Institute serves with the nationally award winning team of high quality charter school authorizers. Reporting to the Institute's Managing Director for Program, the Senior Analyst is responsible for the ongoing evaluation of charter schools authorized by the SUNY Trustees, including working with the Institute's team and charter school leaders to gather, organize and analyze qualitative and quantitative evidence of charter school performance. In addition, the Senior Analyst will carry out designated projects and tasks related to other core functions of the Institute. The Senior Analyst position is under the overall supervision of the Executive Deputy Director for Accountability as reflected in the Institute's organizational chart.
SUNY's Charter Schools Institute has a fast-paced work environment committed to supporting the SUNY Trustees in ensuring SUNY authorized charter schools demonstrate strong academic, fiscal and organizational performance as measured by the SUNY Renewal Benchmarks. The Senior Analyst position demonstrates the drive and desire to propel improved academic outcomes for all students through high quality authorizing practices that require strong communication skills, the ability to gather, analyze and produce a high volume information in a timely and accessible manner, infuse quality, coherence and organization throughout all assigned tasks and embrace the opportunity to work with a national model for high quality charter school oversight.
School Evaluation Responsibilities:
- Manage and coordinate the collection of primary source documents from schools; prepare and distribute charter school review materials to Institute evaluation teams; plan, participate and potentially lead school evaluation visits to SUNY authorized charter schools across the state; prepare written evaluation reports that include analysis of qualitative and quantitative data relating to charters schools' academic programs, assessments, curriculum, instruction and teacher development, leadership, governance and financial condition.
- Oversee the contact and coordination of the planning, scheduling and implementing for school evaluation visits including communications with schools, creating interview and classroom observation schedules, reviewing documents, analyzing data and disseminating information to Institute staff and consultants;
- Gather, synthesize, analyze, and visualize school data including, but not limited to, that obtained through accountability, legal, and compliance reports to identify critical issues for monitoring by Institute Staff; compile summaries of such data for inclusion in evaluation and renewal reports; produce ad hoc data reports on school performance as required;
- Assist management with the development and execution of the Institute's research agenda, which may include development and modification of school visit, observation and interview protocols; responding to grant opportunities; identifying potential funders; and preparing information or statistical data for such purposes;
- Manage the production of all evaluation and renewal reports, working directly with Institute staff and consultants to synthesize data and create reports according to set deadlines; edit all such reports to ensure that the gathered evidence supports each conclusion;
- Support the development, refinement, and revision of internal policies and practices of the Institute's oversight and evaluation process as well as managing the Institute's ongoing review of monitoring and evaluation practices;
- Review, analyze, and provide critical contribution to the Institute's work in receiving, analyzing and conducting due diligence on new charter school applications including qualitative and quantitative analysis of academic program plans, proposed governance and leadership structures, and financial projections contained in new applications;
- Create informational memos for school files, provide written reports to senior staff regarding various topics, generate outgoing correspondence and complete other written assignments as assigned; and,
- Perform other duties and projects as directed by the Managing Director of Program.
Master's Degree in education, public policy or business administration, education or other relevant field preferred. Two years of experience in research, public policy, education, business, not-for-profit management and/or program evaluation preferred. Exceptional writing and data analysis skills a must. Strong organizational, communication, analytical and project management skills required. Ability to work independently with strong attention to detail and with multiple priorities also required. Proficiency with Microsoft applications required. Experience with data management and analysis using Stata (or other analytic software) a plus. Teaching and charter school experience a preferred. Ability to travel on a regular basis to participate in school evaluation visits a must.
Position can be based in Albany, NY or New York City.
As an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer, The Research Foundation for SUNY will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, transgender status, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, physical and mental disability, criminal record, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, status with respect to receiving public assistance, domestic violence victim status, a disabled, special, recently separated, active duty wartime, campaign badge, Armed Forces service medal veteran, or any other characteristics protected under applicable law.