- Becker Career Center
- Senior Director of Campus Planning, Capital Design and Construction, Office of University Architects, University of Georgia, Athens, GA
Senior Director of Campus Planning, Capital Design and Construction, Office of University Architects
Posted: 01/20/17 | SHARE:
The University of Georgia (UGA) invites applications and nominations for the position of Senior Director of Campus Planning, Capital Design and Construction in the Office of University Architects for Facilities Planning (OUA).
The Office of University Architects provides long-range planning, design and capital construction oversight for all aspects of the physical environment for our multi-campus University. The Senior Director of Campus Planning, Capital Design and Construction will report to the Associate Vice President for Facilities Planning who is responsible for the review and approval of all aspects of campus architecture, including design of facilities, grounds, signage, furniture, fixtures, and equipment selection, as well as historic preservation, and development of the campus master plan. The position assists with planning and architectural and construction standards development for facilities projects. The Senior Director will provide oversight of planning, design, and project management from concepts through design and construction for a wide variety of campus building types.
This position is a senior facilities administrator in OUA and OUA has a diverse staff of around thirty employees comprised of planners, architects, landscape architects, interior designers, engineers, GIS professionals, and other construction and administrative staff. This office provides professional planning, design and construction management for the University of Georgia's main campus and extended campuses for all major renovation and construction projects. The Senior Director will supervise and interact with all OUA Project Managers and interface with the Directors to achieve the goals of this position. The Senior Director will provide oversight of project development to ensure each project is meeting goals and procedures, the University System of Georgia and the University of Georgia's standards, and compliance with applicable building and life safety codes and industry standards. This owner’s representative position includes all aspects of oversight for project management including professional consultant selection, aesthetic and technical design reviews, construction administration, commissioning, project closeout, and warranty phase. The Senior Director will ensure effective communication and coordination among internal and external project committee members including stakeholders, clients and customers. The Senior Director has decision making responsibilities in areas ranging from master planning, initial project development through programming, design, construction, commissioning, and warranty phases in order to keep the work done by the office moving efficiently. The Senior Director will work in close coordination with the Facilities Management Division, Senior Director of Maintenance Projects, as well as with the Assistant to the Vice President and Director of Client Relations to provide seamless quality assurance for projects. Working closely with the administration, faculty, staff and students, the Senior Director will endeavor to provide the highest standards in planning, design, and construction, particularly focusing on high-performance, efficient, and sustainable facilities. Please see: https://www.architects.uga.edu
A Bachelor's Degree is required; preferably in architecture or closely related field. A Master's Degree in Architecture or closely related field is preferred. A valid Georgia professional registration in Architecture, or ability to promptly transfer registration from another state is preferred. At least 10 years of increasingly responsible experience with higher education facilities development including capital planning, management of construction projects, and other activities related to the duties and responsibilities of the position is preferred. This experience may be at a higher education setting or in private architectural practice, or similar type of position.
The successful candidate should have:
· Knowledge and understanding of the facilities and physical plant operations of institutions of higher education.
· Expertise in the planning, programming, development and implementation of renovation and construction projects on a university campus within designated budgets and timeframes.
· Strong project management skills with knowledge of facility management principles and practices in a higher education setting.
· Physical ability to access work areas which may be in confined spaces or elevated heights.
· Ability to plan, design, and review design, construction documents, submittals, and code related issues.
· Knowledge of appropriate safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
· Valid driver's license and ability to drive a vehicle, and maintain coverage under University auto insurance policy, if required to drive University vehicles.
· Knowledge of sustainability practices and development of newer sustainability strategies.
· Knowledge of AutoCAD / Revit, Sketch-up, Adobe Suite including Photoshop, Illustrator, and/ or In-design.
· Ability to use tact and diplomacy when interacting with people, especially in sensitive and / or confidential matters.
· Ability to manage and supervise staff and to delegate.
· Ability to effectively communicate orally, and through drawings and writing.
· Able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and have demonstrated project management skills.
· Exceptional customer service skills.
Applicant screening will begin immediately. Candidates are encouraged to submit their materials by Sunday, March 26, 2017; however, screening will continue until the position is filled. The application packet should include a cover letter detailing how the applicant’s credentials and experience meet the needs, responsibilities, and qualifications stated above; a current resume; and contact information for three references (who will not be contacted without further correspondence with the applicant).