- Offices & Services
- Becker Career Center
- Alumni Jobs Bulletin
- Alumni Job Listings
- Senior Director of Career Services
- Union College Home
- Offices & Services
- Becker Career Center
- Alumni Jobs Bulletin
- Alumni Job Listings
Senior Director of Career Services
Boston, MA - Posted on: Friday 09/16/16
Berklee College of Music seeks a Senior Director of Career Services who will bring to this new senior leadership role the knowledge, experience, and skills necessary to effectively develop and implement a best practice model for career services. The Senior Director will be responsible for the collaborative design of new, innovative, and comprehensive approaches to career services that support and enhance the Berklee student experience, satisfaction, and success outcomes. In so doing, the Senior Director will contribute to the advancement of Berklee’s vision to nurture the growth of the world’s most inspired musicians so that they may fully realize their artistic, creative, and career potential.
Under the direction of the Assistant Vice President, Career Strategy and Services, the Senior Director of Career Services will inform and execute the strategic plan for careers that will provide students with the education, resources, career focus, and experiences necessary to have successful career paths upon graduation
The Senior Director of Career Services will work with a community of talented professionals united to advance this mission, inspiring professional development, engendering a spirit of career mindedness and building engagement among all members of the Berklee community. The Senior Director will collaborate extensively with other stakeholders in Academic Affairs, Academic Advising, Berklee’s Institute for Creative Entrepreneurship (BerkleeICE), Alumni Affairs and additional departments to execute a forward thinking strategic direction for career and professional development.
The Senior Director is responsible for the oversight of strategy and administration of internship programs, enhancing current advising philosophy and approaches and developing new experiential programs and events.
The Senior Director articulates a vision for the department promoting student learning and development and establishes need-based goals and objectives. The Senior Director must be a strategic, transparent team builder, who is knowledgeable, innovative, inspirational, and empowering.
Successful candidates will be effective leaders, managers, mentors and educators with an entrepreneurial mindset, excellent communication skills, strong organizational skills, and political and cultural sensitivity and savvy. Candidates must have a clear perspective on diversity and intercultural dialogue as they apply to a student body assembled from among the most talented students from around the world. Candidates should be prepared to discuss their experiences working collaboratively with faculty and colleagues in other parts of the campus to create positive experiences for students.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop a team of diverse career coaches, all with a different set of skills, responsible for core career services, related communities and relationships with academic and administrative staff, and employers.
- Manage daily operations of the career center, and enhances and streamlines current internship administration, processes, and advising protocols, in addition to developing and implementing new experiential programs.
- Work with AVP to provide vision and conduct strategic and operational planning such as: Management and administration of career services budget; Design, implement and evaluate career development programming, including but not limited to experiential learning, graduate school planning, career advising and employment engagement; plan, budget and manage financial resources; synthesize, interpret and report current and longitudinal information; identify and incorporate industry and employment trends.
- Collaborate with AVP to create the framework and structure for creation of a new career advising and education model across multiple industry areas with a portfolio that will include undergraduate, graduate, and online students and alumni from Berklee and Boston Conservatory at Berklee.
- Work with academic departments, the Berklee Institute for Creative Entrepreneurship and Learning Resources team to schedule and produce programs on campus that include workshops, clinics, auditions, recruiting events and career fairs.
- Provide direction, guidance and supervision of staff in the functional areas of student advising, employer relations, event programming, trends and training.
- Advise on curriculum relating to career education and liaise with chairs and faculty on a regular basis to program, evaluate and assess.
- Work with AVP and the Institutional Assessment team to develop and maintain a comprehensive assessment and evaluation strategy.
- Serve on and lead committees and task force groups to design, implement and evaluate programs.
- Provide direct advice and career coaching to students in relation to career plans, career connections and job search needs.
- Work closely with Alumni Affairs team to provide services to alumni and develop mentoring strategies for students.
- Collaborate with the International Career Center and Berklee Center in Los Angeles on events, programming and career education initiatives.
- Innovative, curious, and be able to challenge long-standing paradigms of career services.
- Demonstrated ability to form and fully leverage cross-functional teams of colleagues and academic/administrative leaders to develop policies and coordinate programming.
- Strong written and communication skills.
- Proven ability to work with a high level of independence in an agile environment, prioritize assignments and manage time and ambiguity effectively.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to foster and maintain effective relationships with students, faculty and staff.
- Staff management and budget oversight.
- Proven ability to work & lead effectively in a highly diverse campus community.
- Master’s degree in Counseling, Education or related area.
- 7 – 10 years of experience in career counseling and administration of internships, including at least 5 years directly leading a complex career services function.
- Broad knowledge of career development theory, best practices in career services and strategies.
- Experience with strategic planning and assessment.
- Passion for music and the arts.
- Experience leading an innovative and dynamic career services organization.
- Experience developing, presenting and administering programs, seminars and events, and producing training and educational materials related to career development.
- Experience successfully serving and mentoring a diverse population.
- Strong understanding of program assessment, specifically in the areas of data collection, the role of metrics to drive accountability, data management and reporting practices.
The above information on this position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by individuals within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case-by-case basis.
*** Application Instructions Specific to this Position ***
Currently enrolled Berklee students may not apply for staff or faculty positions.
Applicants who are both interested and qualified should submit the following materials:
- Cover letter that addresses the applicant’s capabilities and experiences.
- A resume or CV.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. The position will remain open for applications until filled.
Berklee College of Music is committed to increasing the diversity of the college community and the curriculum. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths in this area.