- Becker Career Center
- Senior Mechanical Engineer, International Electronic Machines (IEM), Troy, NY
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Posted: 01/20/17 | SHARE:
International Electronic Machines (IEM) develops, manufactures, and markets rugged imaging and sensor-based systems for transportation security, safety, and metrology. We are currently expanding our operations and have an opening for a Senior Mechanical Engineer.
This is a full time position that operates within the Engineering Department and reports to the Engineering manager. The candidate will assist with the design, modeling, drafting, fabrication, testing, and documentation of new designs. These designs may be in support of IEM’s railroad and other transportation product offerings or to support Research and Development contracts.
Typical tasks for this position include the following:
- Design work of railroad products for a wide variety of rugged and vibration resistant enclosures/bracketry and mechanical/electronic manipulators. Time is spent doing 3D modeling with Solidworks, design reviews, and component selection. The devices use machined aluminum and steel, with some sheet metal and composite materials. The designs may be done in consultation with electrical and software engineers. Expected time commitment 35 %.
- Design work in support of R & D projects, typically small sensing devices and enclosures and electro/mechanical devices and test rigs. The designs will be done in consultation with other engineers. Expected time commitment 15%.
- Produce 2 D drawing from 3 D models, interact with outside machine shops and IEM’s machine shop for manufacturability. Produce drawings for site layouts. Expected time commitment 20%.
- Hands on first piece assembly of designs to confirm fit and function. Work with engineering technician to confirm suitability of design to application. Expected time commitment 10%.
- Testing of first pieces. Includes set up of test equipment, rigging temporary mechanical and electrical support and recording of results. Consult with senior engineers for the design experiment. Some field work may be necessary to test new designs or troubleshoot existing designs. Expected time commitment 10%.
- Documentation of designs, including filling out BOMS, making assembly diagrams and other assembly descriptions. Proper use of drawing vault. May include filling out Purchase Requisition. Expected time commitment 10%.
- Other miscellaneous mechanical engineering tasks
- B.S.M.E. mechanical engineering degree.
- Excellent 3D modeling skills. Solidworks is IEM’s standard modeling software.
2D drafting and drawing. Understanding of tolerancing and standard drawing practices.
Packaging skills that optimize simplicity and ease of manufacture with function.
Highly motivated, self starter, eager to learn, good team player.
Great attention to detail and very low error rate.
Hands on – assembly of first piece, ability to work in machine shop or with machinist.
Organized and methodical for testing.
Computer Literate - Microsoft Office and related software
- Electrical packaging work experience.
- Solidworks electrical or equivalent familiarity
- Use of analytic (thermal, stress, dynamics) software
- Large work variety and switching between tasks – Multitasking needed.
- Hands-on is very desirable in addition to the drafting skills – results in higher quality work.
- People skills and verbal communication skills are needed to interact with other engineers.
- Primarily in-house engineer, some field time may be used for training or experience.
- Future growth potential so the candidate may grow into a role of Senior Engineer with advanced analytic capacity or project engineer lead role.
Salary, Availability, and Miscellaneous
- Salary will be commensurate with experience.
- Job references required.
- Prior work samples will be requested at the time of the interview, e.g. sample drawings
IEM Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. US Citizenship or equivalent required.
This Mechanical Engineer position offers the person a chance to play a key role in IEM’s engineering department across virtually all projects. The small company atmosphere provides opportunity to work with a variety of engineering disciplines (electrical, computer, civil). Projects range from one-off R&D to heavy duty production systems installed around the world.
Submit resume to Dee Sausville at email@example.com