- Offices & Services
- Becker Career Center
- Alumni Jobs Bulletin
- Alumni Job Listings
- Subject Librarian, Anthro, Geo & Plng, and Comm
Subject Librarian, Anthro, Geo & Plng, and Comm
Albany, NY - Posted on: Monday 08/01/16
About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany's broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages a diverse student body of more than 17,300 students in eight schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State's capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the Adirondacks.
The University at Albany Libraries is seeking an enthusiastic, knowledgeable, creative librarian to serve as the Subject Librarian for Anthropology, Geography and Planning, and Communication. Other subject responsibilities may be assigned contingent on the applicant's qualifications and institutional needs.
- Serves as the subject liaison to the assigned departments and provides outreach and support for faculty and students
- Evaluates, maintains and develops library collections and manages subject acquisitions budgets
- Participates in divisional projects and initiatives
- Provides subject-related instruction and teaches workshops on digital research tools and resources
- Provides in-depth research consultation services for faculty and students in the assigned subject areas
- Collaborates with colleagues responsible for related disciplines to provide coverage for interdisciplinary subjects
- Creates and maintains subject websites and research guides
- Provides general reference services during assigned hours, including some evenings and weekends
- Research, publication, and service to the Libraries, University and profession are expected to satisfy criteria for continuing appointment (tenure) and promotion.
- This position reports to the Director of Collections.
Note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- Master's degree in librarianship from an ALA-accredited program or foreign equivalent, from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization
- Strong subject background in Anthropology or Human Biology, as demonstrated by a Bachelor's degree or combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of specialized information resources used within the discipline of Anthropology
- Demonstrated ability to author and manage electronic research guides or other web content
- Strong interest in digital research tools and techniques
- Evidence of ability to interact collaboratively with a broad range of stakeholders
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population
- Coursework and/or experience in the field of Geography, Planning or Communication
- Collection development experience in an academic library setting
- Experience and/or coursework related to digital research tools and approaches such as text mining, data visualization, GIS or statistical analysis
Professional Rank and Salary Range: Assistant Librarian or Senior Assistant Librarian (rank will be determined by the successful candidate's qualifications)
Closing date for receipt of applications: September 7, 2016
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University's crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University's current campus security policies. The University at Albany's Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER
Please apply online via http://albany.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=74616
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter addressing the job qualifications
- Names of three professional references with contact information (include street address, telephone number, e-mail address)
- Finalists will be asked to submit official transcripts and to present on a specific topic to all library personnel.
Note: After submitting your CV, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Returning Applicants - Login to your U-Albany Careers Account to check your completed application.