Sustainability Programs Coordinator
Stanford, CA - Posted on: Monday 09/05/16
The Office of Sustainability seeks a 3 –year fixed term Sustainability Programs Coordinator to support development of sustainability programs in operations, communications, and education for the campus-wide Sustainable Stanford initiative (http://sustainable.stanford.edu). This position will work with the Program Manager and Director to advance coordination of Office of Sustainability’s programs. This is an exciting opportunity for a rising sustainability professional to work on programs in collaboration with faculty and staff in one of the top academic institutions consistently recognized for its overall leadership in campus sustainability.
Specific duties will include:
1. Conservation Campaign Coordination
The Cardinal Green program serves as the main engagement vehicle to connect the campus community with sustainability efforts on campus. Seasonal Cardinal Green campaigns encourage participation in sustainability efforts across a variety of topics (http://sustainable.stanford.edu/cardinal-green), and a new individual action program takes a personalized approach to engagement. As part of the outreach team, the coordinator will:
- Work with partners to develop engagement opportunities and a comprehensive outreach plan, create supporting communications materials including website content, e-mail outreach, newspaper advertisements, and campus signage.
- Partner with campus departments and sustainability groups to promote campaigns and engage the campus.
- Maintain oversight of the My Cardinal Green network
- Develop a network of Sustainability Ambassadors who can act as champions for Cardinal Green initiatives
2. Communications and Outreach Resource Support
The Office of Sustainability disseminates a vast portfolio of communications resources to inform the on-campus and off-campus community about ongoing sustainability initiatives. As part of the outreach team, the coordinator will:
- Support the creation of the annual report, Sustainability at Stanford: A Year in Review.
- Coordinate the Cardinal Green monthly newsletter.
- Update the Office's Fact Sheets and How-To Guides.
- Serve as the Office's main designer for: Cardinal Green Campaign materials, tabling materials, conference materials, social media materials, and Stanford Report advertisements.
3. Coordinate Sustainability Events, including a signature Earth Day Celebration
The Office of Sustainability offers and participates in a number of events throughout the year. The office also tables at over 20 activities throughout the year. In all these events, the campus community learns about sustainability-related majors and departments, sustainability student groups, and grants, internships, and research opportunities. The Office of Sustainability holds the annual Celebrating Sustainability Fair (http://sustainable.stanford.edu/celebrate-2016) as its flagship event every April. As the Office of Sustainability liaison for sustainability programs, the coordinator will:
• Coordinate all details of the event, from planning to implementation, working with various campus entities for and partnership and engagement
• Develop outreach materials that enhance the exposure and image of Sustainable Stanford across campus events.
• Work with other groups on campus to identify opportunities to showcase the work of the Office of Sustainability
• Serve as the primary liason for sustainability efforts in New Student Orientation and integrate green event practices through partner groups.
• Table at student events throughout the year to maximize student engagement in sustainability.
4. Sustainable Stanford Student Internship Support
The Sustainable Stanford Internship Program provides a paid opportunity for students to gain hands-on experience implementing programs that influence on-campus sustainability. The interns work on projects covering various campus sustainability topics (waste, water, housing, food), under supervision and direction from campus sustainability staff <http://sustainable.stanford.edu/internships>. The continued success of the Internship Program depends upon support from office staff. In coordinating and overseeing the day to day activities of this fund, the coordinator will:
• Develop communication materials to advertise the program and encourage applications.
• Support the application, student interview, selection and announcement process.
• Organize progress reports and facilitate meetings between student, staff and faculty to ensure successful internship progress.
• Compile a final report of internship projects and develop methods for enhancing and improving the program in subsequent years.
5. Cardinal Green Event Program Coordination
The Cardinal Green Event program offers targeted resources to help Stanford host more sustainable events throughout the year. By implementing green practices at both large campus events (such as conferences and ceremonies), as well as small events (such as meetings and dinners), Cardinal Green Events help the event planning community maximize resources, reduce waste, and offer an example of environmental stewardship. http://sustainable.stanford.edu/cardinal-green-events
To support this program, the coordinator will:
- Work with Residential and Dining Enterprises to engage their customers in the program
- Serve as event support for partners that request it
- Track sustainability metrics of all events
- Report on program progress annually, and as requested
- Deliver green event trainings, as requested
- Develop new and update existing program resources, as needed
6. Sustainability Working Group Meeting Support
The Sustainable Working Group prepares policy and program recommendations to enhance and expand campus sustainability < http://sustainable.stanford.edu/governance>. SWG, chaired by the director of the Office of Sustainability, meets every month and involves representatives from all parts of the university. The coordinator will support the Office by the following activities:
• Update and maintain SWG membership.
• Compile and disseminate monthly meeting minutes.
• Coordinate presentations and meet member needs on content.
Ability to work with moderate supervision, exercising sound judgment and strong team-work ethic.
Skilled in the Adobe Creative Suite and competent in design and multimedia development.
Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a team member, nurturing positive working relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization and also maintain a balanced sense of environmental stewardship.
Familiarity with higher education organizational and operational structures, ability to objectively think through impact of initiatives in an institutional setting.
Must possess strong organizational, time management and project management skills, with the ability to support multiple projects of various types at difference stages with emphasis on accuracy and meeting milestones and deadlines.
Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Suite applications as well as suite of graphic design tools. Preferred experience with Adobe creative suite and Drupal.
Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate and engage a diverse audience.
• Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
• Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
• Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are not able to provide relocation or sponsorship for this position. Thank you for your interest!