Sustainability Project Coordinator
Northfield, MN -
Posted on: Thursday 05/12/16
||Sustainability Project Coordinator
||Non Exempt (Paid hourly)
|If part time, hours to be worked weekly
|If temporary please provide Start Date
|And End Date
Position Summary Information
|Purpose of this Position
The purpose of the Sustainability Project Coordinator position is to assist the Manager of Campus Energy and Sustainability with furthering Carleton College’s sustainability programs and fulfilling the intentions of the May 2011 Climate Action Plan.
The Coordinator will develop strategies to embed principles of sustainability in the operation of the college, both in its role as a place of learning and research, and as a member of the local community.
This is a full-time, ten-month position beginning in mid-August 2016.
|Essential Job Functions - Responsibilities
The Sustainability Project Coordinator will take a leading role in promoting Carleton’s sustainability programs, including:
- Lead a team of 6-10 paid student Sustainability Assistants (STAs) to accomplish the responsibilities listed below.
- Plan and execute annual campus events led by the Sustainability Office e.g. Climate Action Week and Bike to Work Week.
- Provide support to campus or community groups for sustainability-related aspects of other annual events such as New Student Week, Earth Week, Carleton Reunion and the Lighten Up Garage Sale.
- Collaborate with Custodial Services to advance campus waste reduction and landfill diversion practices and campus outreach programs.
- Collaborate with Carleton’s Center for Civic Engagement and dining services provider to advance sustainability-focused food procurement and production programs such as Real Food Calculator and Student Organic Farm.
- Assist with external sustainability reporting and recognition submissions e.g. AASHESTARS, Second Nature and the Real Food Calculator.
- Manage all aspects of Sustainability Office external relations and publicity including the Carleton sustainability website, social media accounts, email inquiries, press releases, etc.
- Participate in select sustainability-related campus committees e.g. the Environmental Advisory Committee and the Zero Waste Committee.
- Assist faculty with curricular projects and assignments that relate to campus or community-based sustainability initiatives.
- Advise and support students implementing co-curricular campus sustainability initiatives led by student organizations or the Carleton Student Association (CSA).
- Represent Carleton College at regional/national sustainability conferences and workshops.
- Serve as a liaison to community sustainability initiatives through participation in the Greater Northfield Sustainability Collaborative (or similar).
- Promote sustainability awareness with students, staff and College departments and support integration of sustainable practices into the College’s operations and programs.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
- A Bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, science, psychology, political science, marketing, business administration or other related field.
- Strong project management skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal – and ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of audiences.
- Effective leadership, collaboration and interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to diversity and ability to work effectively with all constituencies at a diverse institution.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to manage – or direct management of – various social media platforms.
- Demonstrated experience with evaluation and implementation of best practices.
- 2+ years of experience in a sustainability office in higher education.
- Demonstrated experience with sustainability issues and implementation of best practices.
- Experience working with and supervising students in a higher education setting.
- Experience with higher education external assessment processes.
- Experience with database and website content management programs.
- Experience with Adobe InDesign or Illustrator.
- Event planning experience.
|Special Instructions to Applicants
As per the Carleton Upward Mobility Program, priority consideration for internal applications will be given to those who apply by the close of business Tuesday, May 10, 2016. Pending the review of those internal applications, external applications will be considered at that time. External applications are welcome at any time.
Carleton College is a AA/EEO employer. We are committed to developing our staff to better reflect the diversity of our student body and American society. Members of underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Posting Detail Information