- Becker Career Center
- Vice President for Research and Strategic Partnerships, Portland State University, Portland, Oregon
Vice President for Research and Strategic Partnerships
Posted: 01/30/17 | SHARE:
Portland State University (PSU) seeks a Vice President for Research and Strategic Partnerships (VPRSP) to lead Research and Strategic Partnerships (RSP) as it continues to expand PSU’s research capacity and increase the impact of the University’s scholarly and creative work on a local, national, and global scale. Four units reside within RSP and report directly to the VPRSP: Sponsored Projects Administration, Research Integrity, Innovation & Intellectual Property, and Strategic Partnerships. Portland State’s University Centers and Institutes, composed of five multi-disciplinary research centers, also report to the VPRSP.
With over $60 million in annual research expenditures, Portland State University has grown over the past 20 years into a thriving urban-serving research university with notable strengths in the areas of sustainability, the life sciences, engineering, urban planning, and social work. Working with a dedicated research administration team and with the Vice President for Finance and Administration, the VPRSP will further forge PSU’s identity as a nationally and internationally renowned research university by strengthening and refining an administrative infrastructure that promotes cutting-edge research and scholarship while reducing the burden of grants administration on faculty. The VPRSP will also work closely with the Vice President for Academic Affairs, the deans of the schools and colleges, and with individual faculty members across campus, to promote a culture that rewards, incentivizes, and invests in high-impact scholarly and creative activities while leveraging the talents and expertise available through PSU’s rich diversity of strategic partnerships. The Office of Strategic Partnerships within RSP coordinates university-wide strategic initiatives pertaining to regional economic development and civic innovation. The Office of Strategic Partnerships was established within RSP in 2011 and now directs and manages a robust portfolio of partnership and engagement activities that includes major corporate and civic partners such as Intel, PGE, Daimler, the City of Portland, higher education partners, campus-wide innovation and entrepreneurship activities, and the PSU Partnership Council. The VPRSP will leverage both existing and new strategic partnerships to advance and grow PSU’s research agenda. The VPRSP will also play a vital role in more closely integrating and aligning PSU’s research and partnership activities for greater impact, a critical next step in the evolution of RSP and the University as a whole. In addition to this critical work within PSU and the Portland Metro Area, the VPRSP works with the government relations staff at PSU and the VPRs from the other major research universities in Oregon to highlight the essential ways in which research, scholarly, and creative activities contribute to Oregon’s vibrant and thriving economy.
Candidates must possess the following:
- An earned doctorate or other appropriate terminal degree, and/or extraordinary accomplishment in a field of teaching, research, and service
- Experience in the administration of research and scholarship programs, including experience dealing with research compliance issues, funding agencies, commercial enterprises, and the industrial/business sector; experience also nurturing the development of intellectual property
- A personal record of sponsored research, including familiarity with the internal and external mechanisms required to build and sustain a top-tier research program
- Strong administrative and management skills, with a demonstrated ability to successfully plan and implement strategic initiatives and to inspire, motivate, develop, and mentor staff
- Demonstrated experience in creating, supporting, and/or participating in joint community engagement projects involving service, research, or teaching, with external partners such as units of government, businesses, nonprofit and civic partners
- A commitment to interdisciplinary research and the wide-ranging intellectual and scientific interests to understand, appreciate, and encourage the varied work conducted within and across the University
- Integrity and a demonstrated commitment to the highest standards of ethical behavior
- A commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity
Ideally, candidates will also be able to demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
- Experience interacting with legislative leaders and staff
- Proactive leadership skills, including a willingness to reach out to faculty researchers, keep them appropriately informed and professionally engaged, and work to develop and nurture their success
- The ability to build productive relationships, connecting with all members and constituency groups within a higher education community and connected to it; the ability to work collaboratively with those at the campus, state, and national levels
- Outstanding communication and leadership skills; ability to articulate a vision and inspire the full range of University constituencies, including administration, faculty, students, and external audiences
- An energetic and entrepreneurial spirit to stimulate growth; the ability to identify and pursue a path to success
Key Cultural Competencies:
- Creates an environment that acknowledges, encourages and celebrates differences.
- Functions and communicates effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities and cultural backgrounds.
- Seeks opportunities to gain experience working and collaborating in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings with a willingness to change for continual improvement.
While applications and nominations will be accepted until the position is filled, interested parties are encouraged to apply by February 16, 2017. Please submit a PDF version of your curriculum vitae and letter of interest upon application. Your letter should address your motivation for considering the position as well as your ability to lead collaboratively and enhance research. All applications and nominations will be held in confidence.
For nominations or further information:
Summit Search Solutions, Inc.
Portland State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and seeks candidates who are committed to the highest standards of scholarship and professional activities and a campus climate that supports equality, diversity and inclusion.