- Offices & Services
- Becker Career Center
- Alumni Jobs Bulletin
- Alumni Job Listings
- Web Developer/Designer
Albany, NY - Posted on: Thursday 11/10/16
About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany's broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages a diverse student body of more than 17,300 students in eight schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State's capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the Adirondacks.
The University at Albany Libraries seek a service-oriented, creative, collaborative individual to serve as Web Developer/Designer. The successful candidate will have daily responsibility for organizing, maintaining, updating and improving the Libraries' public websites and staff intranet; integrating a variety of disparate web services and resources seamlessly; creating documentation and providing training to library faculty and staff; and working closely with individuals and groups who contribute to the sites. Duties may also include work on administrative and/or database applications. The Web Developer/Designer reports to the Head of Library Systems.
- Manage and develop responsive Internet and intranet web and mobile web applications and APIs using modern web technologies including Drupal
- Integrate 3rd party library technologies (ILLiad, Aleph, EZproxy, etc.) with the Libraries' website
- Create documentation and enforce best practices and standards to ensure consistency across the Libraries' web presence
- Provide training to faculty and staff on how to use specific library web applications and programs
- Ensure optimal web interface design and web server performance, including monitoring and responding to availability, performance, and security issues
- Work with stakeholders of varying levels of knowledge and experience to develop, deploy, and maintain library digital assets
- Serve as a backup to the Integrated Library System & Electronic Access Manager for Aleph systems tasks, report generation, and support
- Serve as a backup to the Database Designer/Developer for MySQL systems tasks, report generation, and support of administrative and database applications
- Expected to serve on library or university committees in service to the campus and library community
- Maintain a positive attitude throughout the workplace by being cooperative, courteous, and supportive toward all colleagues
- Bachelor's degree from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization in computer science, information technology, or a closely related field
- Three (3) years of professional web management and development experience with a web content management system
- Experience with web coding languages including PHP, HTML, HTML 5, CSS, Java, JQuery, and the database systems MySQL and SQL Server
- Demonstrated web graphic design experience
- Ability to create content templates, themes, views, panels, and other assets in Drupal 6 or 7
- Experience managing and configuring Internet Information Server (IIS) 6 or 7
- Ability to troubleshoot complex web and server issues
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience with project management in content management and web services
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to manage an analytics program and provide reports on digital usage across web systems
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population
- Master's degree in library or information science from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization
- Experience working in an academic library setting
- Experience migrating Drupal and PHP objects from Drupal 6 to Drupal 8
- Knowledge or experience using Movable Type, LibGuides, Angelfish Analytics, EZproxy, Aleph ILS, ILLiad, Ares
- Understanding of user experience and user interface principles.
- Experience using graphic design software, such as Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator
- Experience working with focus groups, usability testing teams, marketing teams, or student advisory groups
- Experience translating marketing concepts into overall online strategies and tactics
Professional Rank and Salary Range: Senior Programmer-Analyst, SL-4. Minimum starting salary: $65,000.
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University's crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University's current campus security policies. The University at Albany's Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER
Please apply online via http://albany.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=72933
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Cover letter addressing the job qualifications
- Names of three professional references with contact information (include street address, telephone number, e-mail address)
Note: After submitting your resume, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).
Special Note: Finalists will be asked to submit official transcripts.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Returning Applicants - Login to your U-Albany Careers Account to check your completed application.
Closing date for receipt of applications (revised): December 14, 2016