Facilities Services is made up of four areas - Administrative, Building Services, Grounds, and Utilities Management. We essentially provide types of service requests to the campus community such as repairs and improvements, heating and cooling, general maintenance and cleaning, as well as event set ups and moving, through our online work order system.
- Events and Scheduling - Coordination of special events, and the scheduling of rooms for those events are handled through these staff members. Planning and Construction - Planning, design, and project management at Union is provided by a design team within the administrative area.
- Support Services/Office - The office function is responsible for procurement, budgeting/payroll and work order processing. The support services function controls shipping and receiving, as well as warehouse and inventory.
- Building Maintenance - There are ten building maintainers, and two truckers. Each maintainer has a number of buildings assigned to them. Maintainers perform minor repairs, change light bulbs, provide event set-ups, and inspect the buildings. The truckers duties include moving and event set-ups.
- Cleaning Services - Campus buildings are cleaned on day and night shifts by our dedicated staff. Trash removal and recycling are also taken care of by Cleaning Services.
- Structural - The structural shop consists of highly skilled carpenters, masons, and locksmiths who construct and repair anything required by the campus community.
Electrical/Plumbing/Heating - Our skilled trades people install, maintain, and repair the utility infrastructure, both underground and within the buildings. Our central plant boilers and chillers provide heating and cooling to 40% of the buildings on campus from one location. The remaining buildings are on independent systems.
The grounds crew consists of a talented staff of landscape specialists, a campus gardener, arborist, and equipment operators. They are responsible for all aspects of grounds maintenance including lawn care, snow removal, tree/shrub care, plant bed care, as well as the care of Jackson's Garden, an eight acre area of campus consisting of formal and natural gardens. There is one mechanic who maintains the college fleet of vehicles and equipment.