Work Study Departments

Union College offers two work-study programs.  The federal work-study program is a need-based federally subsidized work program.  The Union College Work Program, also need-based, is funded through Union for international students who do not qualify for federal funds.  Both programs are administered by the college and offered to students as part of their financial aid package. Students are assigned part time jobs on campus and can earn from $1,600-$2,100 during the academic year. In addition to the standard financial aid application procedures, a separate application for employment must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office each year.

Work-study at Union is awarded to students based on need as determined by the FAFSA and CSS Profile forms.  All students who are offered work-study are required to submit a work-study application annually to be assigned a job.  For returning students, the online application must be submitted by April 15.  For incoming students, the deadline for submission of the application is August 3.  

The application allows students to list up to three work preferences.  Although it is not always possible we try to meet one of the three preferences that the student has indicated.  For your convenience, we maintain a list of departments that employ students through the work-study program.

Notification of assignments is sent via e-mail to students during August.  This e-mail will indicate the department to which the student has been assigned, the name of the supervisor who the student should report to and the number of hours the student is allowed to work per week.  Students who have been awarded $1,600 in work-study can work 6 hours per week, students with $1,900 can work 7 hours per week and students with $2,100 can work 8 hours per week.  All work-study positions pay minimum wage, which is currently $8.75 per hour but will increase to $9.00 per hour as of January 1, 2016.  

Any student who has not previously been employed at Union must complete both a W-4 and an I-9 form. The completed forms should be brought in person to the Human Resources Office with the appropriate documentation (see the I-9 form for details).

Work-study earnings are not directly applied to the student’s account.  Most students use work-study earnings for personal expenses and/or to help with book expenses.  Students are able to make payments to their account from work-study earnings, though this is not an automatic process.

Paychecks are issued bi-weekly for hours worked the prior two weeks.  Students can have a paper check sent to their campus mailbox or can have the check deposited directly into their checking account. Direct deposit is recommended, to sign up for this the student must complete the Direct Deposit Request form and return it to the Payroll Office.