1. Union Home
  2. Offices & Services
  3. Human Resources
  4. Benefits
  5. Other Benefits

Other Benefits

Union Invests in Employee Training "Scholarships"

Employees are able to pursue external training opportunities to enhance their skill level and effectiveness and/or to broaden their knowledge and skills for future job assignments. Employees interested in pursuing training opportunities (courses, seminars, workshops, licenses, certifications, etc.) should submit a brief written proposal, to their Supervisor and Responsibility Center Head, describing the training opportunity and related costs. Each proposal will be considered carefully, in terms of job-relatedness, and a prompt approval or denial will be provided.

Business Travel


A annual fee of $15 is charged to register a car for on-campus parking. Parking is free.


College-owned apartments are occasionally available, contact Paul Matarazzo, Facilities Services (518-388-6181) for more information.  Also consider inquiring with Human Resources (518-388-6108) regarding recent notices of available apartments or houses.


The College Park Home Loan Assistance Program was established to offer assistance to employees who purchase a home in College Park.  The College will provide a maximum of $5,000 in the form of a forgivable loan (at the rate of 20% per year) to pay for required contract deposits, appraisals, inspections and other related closing costs.  This benefit is available to full time employees with two years of service.  See your Staff/Administrative/Faculty Manual for more details.

If your are in need of real estate services, Union College recommends the following agents:

Realty USA, Marion DeSantis, Licensed Sales Person, 480 Balltown Road-Suite 2, Schenectady, NY 12304, 518-370-3170, mdesantis@realtyusa.com

Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Blake, Realtors, Stephanie Cuva, Director of Relocation, 8 Airline Drive-Suite 104, Albany, NY 12205, 518-452-4298 Ext. 1301, Office 518-935-2555, scuva@bhhsblake.com

The following are a few websites that should be helpful in locating an apartment in Schenectady or the Capital Region:

Computer Loan:

The College encourages technology awareness by its employees. Full-time employees, after one year of service, may receive a pay advance (up to $2,250) to purchase one piece of equipment which may be a laptop, a desktop computer, or an IPAD. The advance may also include a printer and/or operating software. Purchases may be through the College Bookstore or an outside vendor. Pay advances are repaid through payroll deductions over a maximum twenty four (24) month period. Employees who request a pay advance to purchase this technology or equipment will receive a written notice detailing the terms and conditions of repayment. Employees are eligible for more than one pay advance for this purpose in the course of their employment following repayment of any previous pay advance. Please contact Joanne Herrick, x6105 for an appointment.  

Credit Unions

Employees of the College are eligible to become members of the First New York Federal Credit Union or Capital Communications Federal Credit Union. Both Credit Unions offer interest-varying savings accounts and also makes loans. Arrangements must be made directly with the Credit Union for any of the services they offer. It is possible to have payroll deductions made for deposit to your Credit Union savings account. Those arrangements, too must be made directly with the Credit Union. First New York Federal Credit Union is located at 1776 Union Street, Schenectady, Telephone 393-1326.  Capital Communications Federal Credit Union is located at 18 Computer Drive, Albany, NY 12205, Telephone 458-2195.

Direct Deposit of Pay Check

The College offers you the convenience of a Direct Deposit Plan with many financial institutions, including local and national banks as well as credit unions. You must indicate your interest in having direct deposits of your pay check made to your account. You may pick up the required form at Human Resources. A voided check or copy of a check must be submitted with the form for those who wish to have direct deposit to a checking account. For savings accounts, you just need to put the account number in the space provided on the form.

Moving and Relocation Reimbursement

 Newly hired faculty and administrators are eligible for reimbursement of moving and relocation expenses incurred in their move to the Schenectady area.  Reimbursable moves can be either self-moves, made by the use of rented equipment (i.e. U-Haul, Rider, Budget, Pods) or commercial-moves, through a moving company (i.e. Corrigan/East End Moving Systems, Clark Moving & Storage, Inc.). 

  •  The maximum reimbursable amount for a self-move will be the actual cost of the self-move, up to $4,000 dollars.
  •  The maximum reimbursable amount for a commercial-move will be one-half the cost of the commercial move, up to $4,000 dollars.

 Whether through a self-move or commercial-move the policy does not provide reimbursement for mileage, personal transportation, personal expenses (i.e. food, lodging, travel), vehicle transportation, storage, warehouse costs, or secondary moves. 

 Requests for reimbursement should be submitted to Stacy Raucci in McKean House.  For reimbursement of self-moves an itemized summary and original receipts is required; for reimbursement of commercial moves a quote and original invoice is required.

Commercial Moving Agreements

 The College has entered into agreements with two (Corrigan/East End Moving and Storage - 800-333-0763 x. 232 or 222 or Clark Moving & Storage, Inc.- 518-370-4100 or 800-280-0090), which provide a discount for packing materials, packing, and the transportation of household goods.  Some specialized or local moving companies (i.e. California to New York Express) may offer an even lower package so please check all options before contracting with a specific mover.

 If you have any questions regarding the Moving and Relocation policy please contact Human Resources at ext. 6108.