1. Union Home
  2. Offices & Services
  3. Human Resources
  4. Policies, Manuals and Handbooks
  5. Visas, I-9's and Department of Homeland Security

Visas, I-9's and Department of Homeland Security


Federal law requires that every individual employed in the United States provide evidence that they are eligible for employment. This is accomplished by the completion and verification of Federal Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification.

Every faculty, staff and student who will be working at Union must complete an I-9 form prior to beginning employment. A single I-9 form, on file at Human Resources, will cover all employment and jobs held at Union College unless the INS has authorized you to work only to a certain date.

The I-9 form is available at Human Resources, 17 South Lane and must be completed in person. You are required, by law, to show documentation of your employment eligibility. The following (Current and unexpired) Documentation is acceptable.


List A

List B

List C




Documents that Establish Both Identity and Employment Eligibility

Documents that Establish Identity

Documents that Establish Employment Eligibility

1. U.S. Passport 

1.  Driver's license or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United Stated provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address

1.  U.S. Social Security Card issued by the Social Security Administration (other than a card stating it is not valid for employment.)

2.  Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)

2.  ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address.

2.  Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545 or Form DS-1350)

3.  Foreign passport that contains a temporary
I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine readable immigrant visa

3.  School ID card with a photograph

3.  Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority or outlying possession of the United States bearing an official seal.

4.  Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-766, I-688, I-688A, I-688B)

4.  Voter's registration card

4.  Native American tribal document

5.  An unexpired foreign passport with an unexpired Arrival-Departure Record, Form I-94, bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien's nonimmigrant status, if that status authorizes the alien to work for the employer.

5.  U.S, Military card or draft record

5.  U.S. Citizen ID Card (INS Form I-197)\

 6. Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admissions under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI.

6.  Military dependent's ID card

6.  ID Card for use of Resident Citizen in the United States (INS Form I-179)


7.  U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card

7. Employment authorization document issued by the DHS (other than those listed under List A)


8.  Native American tribal document


9.  Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority


For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above:


10.  School record or report card


11.  Clinic, doctor or hospital record


12.  Day-care or nursery school record


The above listed documents must be originals, they cannot be photocopies. The I-9 form may be copied but only in the duplex mode.

It is the obligation and responsibility of the employee to satisfactorily complete the I-9 form. Failure to comply with this Federal Law will result in the termination of your employment.


All new employees must complete a W-4 Form. Current employees only need to complete a new W-4, if they are changing their Federal or State tax status. The law requires that you list a physical location address as P.O. Box numbers are not allowed.

For additional information contact the Payroll Office x6105, Human Resources, the IRS, or your personal tax advisor.


Search Process

Prior to an offer of employment to a foreign national, the department or Search Committee should contact the Dean of Academic Departments (Faculty Positions) or the Director of Human Resources (Administrative & Staff positions) to review the employment offer.  All offers of employment are conditional upon the prospective employee being able to provide valid and appropriate employment authorization, from the Department of Homeland Security/U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, before or within 3 days of the effective date of employment.

Visa Expense Policy

Union College will pay applicable visa expenses for newly-hired employees in accordance with the following limits:

Visiting Faculty:                     up to $ 3,000 per Union College appointment, up to maximum of $6,000

Tenure-Track Faculty:           up to $ 10,000 over the lifetime of Union College employment

Administrators & Staff        evaluated on a case-by-case basis

Covered expenses include attorney, documentation, and/or processing fees related to obtaining a visa for employment at Union College, as approved by the Dean of Academic Departments (faculty positions) or the Director of Human Resources (Administrative & Staff positions), as well as fees that are legally required to be paid by Union College.  For Tenure-Track faculty, the allocated amount is intended to cover the permanent residency (green card) process in addition to required initial work visas.  The limits on Union’s commitment to pay visa expenses will be reviewed annually and adjusted as appropriate.

Expenses not covered by Union College include any fees/expenses incurred for securing a visa for a spouse/family member and expenses not directly required for employment at Union College.  

Incurred expenses will be invoiced to Union College’s Human Resources Department for payment until such time as the Visa Expense policy limits have been reached.  Employees will reimburse Union College for any non-covered expenses incurred.  Questions regarding whether an expense will be paid by the College should be answered prior to incurring it.  Costs incurred over the limits listed above will be, where law permits, the responsibility of the employee.

Visa and Work Authorization Process

Obtaining a visa to work in the U.S. is a complicated and time consuming process.  Therefore, the process for securing the proper visa or work authorization document should be started as soon as an offer of employment is accepted.

At Union’s discretion, the permanent residence process for Tenure-Track faculty members will be started within 18 months of receiving H1-B approval.  The permanent residence process will be considered for staff and administrators at Union’s discretion on a case by case basis.  For the purpose of the permanent residence application process, Union College will consider the H1-B approval date as the selection date.

In order to maintain consistency in our immigration processing, international faculty, administrators, and staff must utilize Union College’s local immigration attorney to facilitate this process: 

Seth Leech
Whiteman, Osterman & Hanna, LLP
One Commerce Plaza
Albany, NY 12260
Phone:  518-487-7642
Fax: 518-487-7777
Email:  SLeech@woh.com
Website:  www.woh.com 

This policy takes effect for all employees whose date of employment starts on or after March 1, 2015.  Any exceptions to this policy must be approved, in writing, by the appropriate Responsibility Center Head.

H:/Document/Visas/Union’s Policy/Union Visa Expense Policy_2015-03-01