Crime & Fire Log
Information about the Crime & Fire Log
Crime and fire log report numbers do not run sequentially. The Union College Campus Safety Department assigns a case number for all reportable activities, both criminal and non-criminal. Only case numbers generated for criminal activity or fires within a student residential building are listed in the crime and fire log.
Reports are in chronological order. The most recently reported incidents are at the bottom of the list.
The crime log incidents will not match the crime statistics, as the crime log is compiled using the NYS penal code and the crime statistics are required by law to be compiled using the Federal Uniformed Crime Reporting crime definitions.
A hard copy of the Crime & Fire Log is available at College Park Hall during normal business hours for review.
According to Federal Law, an institution may withhold any of the required fields of entry, i.e. the nature, date, time, location and/or disposition if any of the following conditions apply:
- The disclosure is prohibited by law
- If disclosure would jeopardize the confidentiality of the victim.
- If disclosure would jeopardize an ongoing criminal investigation or the safety of an individual
- If disclosure would cause a suspect to flee or evade detection
- If disclosure would result in the destruction of evidence