Residence Hall Closing
- Students must vacate their housing within 24 hours of their last final. All halls close at 12 NOON on Wednesday, November 25, 2020.
- Due to COVID-19 circumstances, only students who are international and have travel restrictions and those who are housing insecure will be permitted to remain on campus for winter break. Those who have applied and been approved have already been notified.
ALL students living on campus (halls, themes, greeks, minervas, and apartments) must do the following:
- Attend a mandatory closing process meeting (meetings may be virtual due to COVID-19) with your Resident Advisor (RA), Apartment Manager, House Manager, or House Coordinator regarding closing procedures.
- All permanent move outs, or room changes (e.g. graduation, change of mode of engagement meaning you are going remote for winter term or not returning etc.) must be completed BEFORE you leave for winter break! Sign up with your RA or housing manger to check out of your room, or complete and turn in an Express Check Out form (available in Res Life - Reamer 409, or at Campus Safety). Fines for not checking out properly include an Improper Check out fee ($50), and a key replacement fee ($50) for not returning your key. All belongings must be removed from your space if you are not returning in person for winter term.
- Unplug EVERYTHING including the refrigerator.
- Defrost the refrigerator (the inside needs to be completely dry!) and discard any perishable food items.
- Clean your room and remove any trash (put trash in dumpsters).
- Lock windows and close the blinds/shades.
- Leave thermostats at 70 degree (if applicable).
- Take home all valuables.
- Turn off all lights.
- Lock doors.
- Complete and sign the Check-Out door tag (and leave it taped to your door).
- Vacate the room within 24 hours of your last exam.
Possible Fines During Closing
Improper Check-Out Fee: $50.00 (student did not check out with Student Staff, or did not turn in an Express Check-Out Form).
Room Key Replacement Fee: $50.00 (student did not return room key to Residential Life or via an Express Check-Out Form).
Cleaning Fee: $25.00 and up (student did not properly clean or dispose of trash from room at check-out).
Non-Approved Late Stay Fee: $100.00 per night after their permitted closing date.
Missing Furniture: If there is college furniture missing from your room/suite/apartment you will be charged the full cost for the missing item.
24 Hour Quiet Hours
- 24 hour quiet hours begins at 10 pm on Tuesday, November 17, 2020 to allow all students time to study and prepare for finals and papers.
COVID-19 Testing Information
If you plan to depart earlier than 11/25, please ensure to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and let them know you are leaving early and will miss your weekly COVID-19 test.
Some important dates for Winter Term:
Jan. 4-6: Move-in date for students returning from international travel and students required to quarantine per the New York state travel guidelines and using college quarantine hotel
Jan. 7-9: Student testing and move in begins.
Mail & Bookstore Notice
Please make sure to pick up any mail and packages in the mailroom before leaving.
Don't forget to return your rental books to the Union Campus Store before leaving. If you need your book for an at-home final we will contact you via your union email with a prepaid label to return your book to us. Please send your book by 12/1/20 to avoid any non-return fees.