Become an SI Leader
Supplemental Instruction (SI) Leaders are upper classmen who have completed and earned an “A” in the course. SI Leaders provide academic support by serving as a facilitator, not a tutor. Under the guidance of Student Success and the course instructor, the SI Leader will cultivate a collaborative learning environment and equip students with the tools necessary to think critically and develop effective study strategies.
Applications for the 2022/2023 academic year are now open! To apply, please see below.
- Must have completed 3 terms at Union
- Must have a minimum of a 3.0 cumulative GPA at Union
- Must have earned an "A" in the course you are applying for
- Must possess excellent organizational, time management, and communication skills
- Must be in good judicial standing at Union
- Attend/complete all required training prior to the start of the term
- Must be available to attend the course throughout the entire term
- Must prepare and conduct two 50-minute sessions per week for the duration of the term
- Required to meet with the faculty teaching the course on a weekly basis
- Required to meet with the Director of Student Success biweekly
- Must be available for 8 – 10 hours per week for the entire term
SI Leaders will be compensated hourly. This position is work study eligible.
- Complete your application.
- Obtain 2 letters of recommendation. One letter of recommendation must be written by the Professor that taught you the course you are applying for. The second letter must be from another faculty member/staff member at Union. Letters of recommendation must be submitted to Lesly Clay in person or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, May 30 at 11:59pm.
- Letters of recommendation should address the following areas:
- In what capacity do you know the candidate?
- Why is the candidate qualified to serve as an SI Leader for the course they are applying for?
- Has the candidate exhibited mastery of the course? Does the candidate have the ability to explain course material in a way that makes sense to others?
- What skills does the candidate possess that would make them a great fit for the SI program?
- Is the candidate responsible/reliable?
- Applications are due on Monday, May 30 at 11:59pm.
Please contact Lesly Clay at email@example.com.