In accordance with New York State law, every employer in New York State is required to publish a sexual harassment policy and institute annual sexual harassment training for all employees.
The training that Union College provides meets or exceeds a number of standards required under the law, including:
- an explanation of sexual harassment
- examples of conduct that would constitute sexual harassment
- information about remedies available to victims of sexual harassment
- the rights of employees, including all forums for adjudicating complaints
To access this training, please log in to SafeColleges using your Union College credentials.
To learn more about initiatives aimed at combating sexual harassment in the workplace in New York state, click here.
Who must participate in this training?
All Union College employees (faculty, administrators and staff) whether temporary, part-time or full-time; anyone who receives a Letter of Appointment; and any student intern or student worker must participate.
When must I complete the training?
All employees should complete the mandatory training by June 30 (the end of the College's fiscal year). Union College must comply with the New York state requirement by Oct. 9 each year.
What is required?
Participation in ONE of the following before Oct. 9 each year:
- attendance at a New Employee Orientation Harassment/Discrimination Training Session
- participation in a 43-minute online education program administered via Safe Colleges
Why do I have to complete the training?
New York state recently enacted this mandatory annual sexual harassment training law for all employees. Employees must, in accordance with their employment obligations, abide by personnel policies. Failure to perform is addressed in the relevant employee manuals and handbooks.
Human Resources will work with all individuals, department chairs, supervisors and managers to ensure that everyone completes this mandatory annual training. If you have questions or concerns, please contact: Amanda Brink-Forrest.
Who is not required to participate?
Independent contractors, third party vendors and volunteers who do not receive a Letter of Appointment are not required to participate.
- Whom do I contact if I have questions about the training, my obligation to participate, or I would like to discuss an issue of sexual harassment or other forms of harassment in the workplace?
What if I cannot complete the SafeColleges training in one sitting?
You may log in to the system more than once to complete your training. Your progress will be saved each time you log in or log out. After you have finished, you will receive a certificate of completion.