Title IX

Know Your Rights

Under the Sexual Misconduct Policy, all members of the Union College community have the right to:

  1. make a report to local law enforcement and/or state police
  2. request that the police remain at the scene until safety is assured
  3. request that a police officer help arrange transportation or take someone to a safe place such as a shelter or a family member or friend’s residence
  4. have disclosures of domestic violence, dating violence, stalking and sexual assault treated seriously
  5. make a decision about whether or not to disclose a crime or violation and participate in the conduct process and/or criminal justice process free from pressure by the institution
  6. participate in a process that is fair and impartial, and that provides adequate notice and a meaningful opportunity to be heard
  7. be treated with dignity and receive from the institution courteous, fair and respectful health care and counseling services, where available
  8. be free from any suggestion that the reporting party is at fault when these crimes and violations are committed, or that they should have acted in a different manner to avoid such crimes or violations
  9. describe the incident to as few institution representatives as practicable and not be required to unnecessarily repeat a description of the incident
  10. be protected from retaliation by the institution, any student, the accused and/or the responding party, and/or their friends, family and acquaintances within the jurisdiction of the institution
  11. have access to at least one level of appeal of a determination
  12. be accompanied by an adviser of choice who may assist and advise a reporting party, accused or respondent throughout the conduct process, including during all meetings and panels related to such process
  13. exercise civil rights and practice of religion without interference by the investigative, criminal justice or conduct process of the institution
  14. go to court and file a domestic abuse complaint requesting an order restraining the responding party from abuse and/or an order directing the respondent to leave the reporting party’s apartment, residence hall, College or workplace
  15. seek a criminal complaint for threats, assault and battery, or other related offenses
  16. seek medical treatment (police or Campus Safety can arrange transportation to the nearest hospital)
  17. obtain a copy of the police incident report at no cost from the police department