The Leadership in Medicine-Health Management Program offers combined bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees for students who anticipate assuming a leadership role in 21st-century medicine. Below is a short description of the application process, but for complete details on the program, its requirements and its academic components, visit the Leadership in Medicine website.
The eight-year Leadership in Medicine-Health Management Program is jointly sponsored by Union College, Union Graduate College and Albany Medical College. Acceptance into the program requires high school applicants to apply to Union College and to Albany Medical College.
The application process begins in the fall of the senior year and ends in the spring when admission decisions are sent. Applicants must hold U.S. citizenship or be a U.S. permanent resident. Residents of foreign countries will not be considered for this program.
You must submit a Union application by Nov. 15. Indicate your interest in Leadership in Medicine-Health Management Program on the Common Application.
What We Look For
The most important credential for admission is academic excellence, as evidenced by:
- Excellent grades in the most challenging courses available in high school.
- High school classes in biology and chemistry. Physics is preferred but not required.
- Rank near the top of the class (if the school uses class rank).
- Ideally, SAT scores above 2010 (2400 scale), and SAT II scores above 650
- ACT scores at or above 30. If submitting the ACT the writing test is required.
- Clinical or volunteer service in medicine (the more you have learned about medicine, the better)
Union College Writing Supplement Questions
Please note: both questions will be visible after you select an answer to the "Student Status" question on the Union College member screen.
- Discuss your interest in Union beyond your application to the Leadership in Medicine program. (Limit 150 words)
- Answer one of the following questions:
- Share something about yourself that does not appear in your application. (Limit 150 words)
- What question do you think a selective college should ask and how would you answer it? (Limit 150 words)
- Given the opportunity to conduct research at Union, what project would you choose to explore? (Limit 150 words)