French and Francophone Studies
Degree: Bachelor of Arts
Did you know that French is unique among the modern languages of the world in its influence on English? Our classes will help you understand its many contributions to world cultures.
As a Union College French and Francophone sudies major, you will interact with a talented pool of professors who know your name (in two languages!) and be part of an exciting academic program that encompasses language, culture and literature courses.
Our courses examine a broad spectrum of topics, including women’s and gender studies, theater, literature and cinema. They emphasize the importance of global awareness as a key element of 21st century life. And they look at how French speakers and Francophone cultures – from Africa, the Caribbean, Europe and North America – contribute greatly to our diverse and interconnected world.
To further improve your linguistic skills and cultural proficiency, you may participate in a term abroad in Rennes, France. Students on this term live with a host family and take four courses at the University of Rennes, one of which is taught by the Union faculty member leading the program. There are also opportunities to become immersed in French-speaking cultures in two visual arts-focused mini-terms in Paris, and during a summer break mini-term in Senegal.
With knowledge of French invaluable for an array of jobs, our French majors enjoy careers in the arts, business, education, research, international business, law and other fields. They are accepted into competitive graduate and professional programs. Many have earned post-graduate experience teaching English outside of the U.S. through French government teaching assistantships and the U.S. Fulbright program. And some go on to live and work in France and other French-speaking countries.
What some of our graduates are doing:
- Art instructor, Boston Museum of Fine Arts
- Associate director, University Honors Program, Northeastern University
- Associate professor of French, Villanova University
- Care coordination specialist, Mercy Medical Center
- Client services professional, H&R Block
- Educator, Teach for America
- M.A. candidate in visual arts administration, NYU
- Marketing and communications project manager, Jayne Agency
- Language center operations assistant, French Institute Alliance Francaise
- Research assistant, RPI
- Speech-language pathology clinical fellow, EBS Healthcare
- Teacher, Greenwich Country Day School
- Tour consultant, ACIS Educational Tours