Engage with the world
Union students enrich their understanding of other countries and challenge themselves academically and personally while studying abroad. Students who participate in one or more of our programs quickly learn to thrive at the intersections—of diverse cultures and communities, of other languages and customs, of learning about others and themselves.
Whether you’re exploring the marine ecology of Australia, delving into art and history in France, or using the temples and tombs of ancient Greece as a living laboratory, you’ll likely find that overseas studies will be one of your most memorable college experiences.
- Nearly 60% of Union students go on terms or mini-terms abroad, one of the highest percentages among U.S. liberal arts colleges.
- Union offers more than 40 programs in 29 countries, from Argentina to Vietnam, including 24 full terms abroad and numerous three-week mini-terms.
- In addition to traditional course work, there are opportunities for language immersion, research, internships and community service.
- Roughly 80% of programs are led by Union faculty, so students enjoy a global experience that’s uniquely personal.
- Non-Union, independent study and exchange programs are also offered.
- With the exception of work-study, 100% of the financial aid a student receives on campus applies to full terms abroad.
- In some instances, students may be eligible for scholarships for term abroad programs.
This interdisciplinary field draws on courses from 12 departments, giving a broad perspective of the history, art, politics, religion, popular culture, literature and other features of American life.
Choosing from among more than 160 courses, students analyze the diverse character of the American experience, shaped by gender, race, class, sexuality, geography and ethnicity. These experiences are studied within a context of global economic, cultural and political relations.
What you can experience:
- Take intensive Spanish language and culture classes in Cordoba, Argentina.
- Compare American health care practices with those in Canada, England and the Netherlands on the National Health Systems term.
- Teach English to street children at a nonprofit school in Siem Reap, Cambodia.
- Study Indonesian dance and music with Bali as your backdrop.
- Soak up the theater, both onstage and backstage, in the performing arts mecca of London.
- Absorb the history of South Africa in Capetown.
- Explore electric power and environmental management throughout New Zealand.