Degree: Bachelor of Arts
At Union, you will combine fascinating course work in cultural anthropology with valuable practical training, guided by dedicated faculty who are experts in their fields. You will learn to observe, interview, record and describe complex social behavior as it happens. You will enjoy small classes, real-world research, and enriching study abroad and internship opportunities.
Anthropology Department faculty are excited to share their fieldwork experiences in their classes and, wherever possible, engage in the Union tradition of involving students in first-hand research. Our faculty actively conduct research in societies in Latin America, Asia and the South Pacific. They specialize in the democratization of Third World countries, the rise of religious fundamentalism, the relation of language and culture, differences in schools and education across cultures, the understanding of local versions of world religions, the cultural differences in healing practices and many other areas.
Study abroad, internships
Exciting opportunities abound in two terms abroad sponsored by the department: in Palau, Fiji, and Jaipur, India, where students design and work on unique individual projects. Both programs offer internships. In Fiji, students live with a local family and go into the schools to analyze the relationship between educational systems and societal and cultural forces. In India, they focus on the rich cultural heritage of the greater Jaipur region through work with non-profit organizations, schools and community-based development projects.
- Deputy director of training and development, Central Coast Children's Fund
- Master of Philosophy candidate in education, globalization and international development, University of Cambridge
- Program supervisor, C.O.C.O.A. House
- Project assistant, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Public health associate, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Public relations associate, RF Binder
- Researcher, Mexican Institute for Competitiveness
- U.S. Fulbright Scholar, Athens, Greece
COURSES AND REQUIREMENTS
- Interdepartmental major
Connect with Union
Have questions about this major? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Ready to apply? Click the button below.