Degree: Bachelor of Arts
The Department of Economics is dedicated to promoting an understanding of the economic aspects of society and to cultivating in each student the ability to reason about economic issues – to provide a basis for intelligent, responsible participation in contemporary society.
Courses and requirements
A key part of the economics curriculum is the emphasis on student research. Research papers are required in a number of courses, and all majors undertake a two-term senior research project, the senior thesis. Students regularly present at Union’s Steinmetz Symposium. Past research topics have focused on the shifting dynamics of international currency reserves, the global co-working movement, piracy of intellectual property in the entertainment industry, World War II-era cartel practices, the economics of the fashion industry, deficits in Social Security and advertising in esports.
Economics majors have the opportunity to take part in an economics international exchange, either during fall term at the University of Antwerp, Belgium, or during winter term, with the IESEG School of Management in Lille, France. Up to four Union students typically are selected to participate in each program.
Students work closely with faculty in the U Marketing, Garnet Group (Student Investment Fund) and Women in Economics Society. The Garnet Group runs the winter term Wall Street Leadership Academy, targeted to competitively selected students.
The Economics Department sponsors a faculty seminar series and joins with campus groups to host alumni talks, career panels, guest speakers and networking events.
- Account manager, Adobe Systems
- Analyst in securitized products sales and trading, J.P. Morgan
- Assistant professor of economics, Trinity College
- Attorney, Kreindler & Kreindler (N.Y.)
- CEO and co-founder, QCatalyst, digital marketing
- Corporate financial analyst, Oracle
- Cyber security senior associate, PwC
- Data curator, Spotify
- Equality marketing specialist, Bloomberg
- Financial advisor, Merrill Lynch
- Founder, FORSAKE shoes
- President and CEO, Stanley Black & Decker
- Teacher, Brunswick School
- Trade management specialist, Brown Brothers Harriman
Connect with Union
Questions about this major? Contact email@example.com. Ready to apply? Click the button below.