Degree: Bachelor of Science
Our electrical engineering program blends study in cutting-edge audio and image processing, wireless communications and nanotechnology with traditional areas such as electronic design, electric circuits, electromagnetics, optics, solid state devices, control systems and communications.
Union EE majors are part of a long line of distinguished students and professionals. The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering was founded in 1902 by Charles Proteus Steinmetz, America's leading engineer at the time and a Union professor.
Students hone their abilities in analytic reasoning, design and problem-solving. Small classes, integrated studio-format courses and close faculty-student interaction are hallmarks of our program. All courses are taught by Union faculty members (not teaching assistants), and most classes have fewer than 20 students.
The electrical engineering Bachelor of Science degree program is accredited by the Engineering Commission of ABET. We also offer a 5-year combined B.S./M.S. in electrical engineering in conjunction with Clarkson University’s Capital Region Campus.
Students build a strong core in engineering fundamentals, mathematics and basic science with a set sequence of courses and labs before progressing to more specialized areas of study, such as embedded systems, neural networks and power systems. All students complete a capstone design project senior year, in which they apply theory, skills and creativity to a practical problem, working in small teams or individually alongside a faculty member. Students also are required to take a range of liberal arts courses in literature, writing, arts and humanities, languages and cultures, and social sciences.
Beyond the classroom
- Account representative, CDWG
- Electrical design engineer, GE Renewable Energy
- Electrical engineer, General Electric
- Electrical engineer, Knolls Atomic Power Laboratories
- Electrical engineer, Naval Nuclear Laboratory
- Engineer, Apple
- LCS senior project manager, General Dynamics Mission Systems
- Lead financial analyst, IBM
- Lieutenant, U.S. Navy
- Lighting controls application engineer, Illuminate
- NE Manager/integrations engineer, Google
- Patent examiner, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Senior analyst, National Grid
- Senior product manager, Rocket Software
- Substation electrical engineer, POWER Engineers
- Systems Engineer, Raytheon