If you have a strong intellectual interest in a topic involving multiple disciplines, you might consider the organizing theme major.
This self-designed major encourages you to explore thematically related connections across disciplines. It must incorporate courses from at least three different departments, with no more than four courses from any one department to count toward the major.
Organizing theme majors developed by students include:
- Film theory and technology: Exploring multiple aspects of filmmaking, including theory, script writing and production (drawing from women's and gender studies, English, modern languages and literature, and film studies)
- Sustainable design: Designing products and systems with limited impact on the environment (drawing from mechanical engineering, environmental sciences and visual arts)
- Asia-related political and economic studies: Understanding the political and cultural dimensions of economic relations between the U.S. and Asian countries (drawing from economics, Chinese and political science)
All organizing theme proposals require the approval of the chosen adviser or advisers and a faculty committee established by the dean of studies.
Careers after Union
Here is what some alumni have been up to:
- Film producer
- Law associate, Torres, Scammon & Day LLP
- Patient specialist, Sloan Kettering Memorial
- Teaching assistant, USC School of Cinematic Arts
- Freelance photojournalist
- Teacher, San Francisco Public Schools
- Professional photographer, Manhattan
- Master’s candidate, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Video: What intrigues you?
What intrigues you?: