The Science and Technology Entry Program (STEP) is a New York State grant-funded program that was designed to prepare historically underrepresented and economically disadvantaged students to enter college and increase participation in math, science, technology, health-related fields, and licensed professions. Union College has been awarded the STEP grant since 1994 to partner with local schools and provide high-quality STEM instruction to students enrolled in the program.
All STEP services and resources are offered at no cost to participants. For more information please email STEP@union.edu.
- Academic Tutoring and Mentoring
- SAT/ ACT Prep
- STEM and Healthcare Profession Workshops
- Field Trips and College Visits
- Research Opportunities
- Summer Programming
To enroll in STEP, students must be:
- A New York State resident
- Enrolled in Grades 7-12
- A member of a historically underrepresented group (as defined by NYSED): African-American/Black, Latino/Hispanic or Native American/Alaskan Native
- Economically disadvantaged as per the NSYED Income Eligibility Criteria
Summer STEP offers students a learning opportunity through classroom instruction, hands on activities, educational field trips, and mentoring by Union College students. Students will also attend workshops presented by Union College faculty and local professionals on a variety of STEM topics. This is a day program experience and will run during weekdays.
2023 Summer STEP Dates:
Academic Year STEP
Tutoring and Mentoring
- Virtual and In-Person Opportunities
- Kaplan Live Online SAT Prep Opportunities
- STEM Workshops Presented by Union College Faculty, Staff, Students and STEM Professionals
- STEM Field Trip Opportunities
- College Visits
Research and Curriculum
- STEM Research Opportunities
- Curriculum Taught by Union College Professors
- Workshops Provided for the Guardians/Family to Answer Higher Education Questions
- College Admissions Directors
- Opportunity Program Directors
One on One Family/Student Meetings
- Discussion of Goals
- Academic Mentoring
- Time Management Skills
- College Application Process
Academic Support Services
- Get one to one academic support in any subject(s) needed. We will do our best to match you with a good-fit tutor to help you with homework completion, test preparation and study skills development.
- Receive SAT prep classes with Kaplan Live Online (students in grades 10-12).
- Senior Meetings - Juniors and Seniors can request a family meeting to talk about goals after STEP.
Please note: tutors are not guaranteed. Tutors are assigned based on availability.