Degree: Bachelor of Science
The environmental science major at Union is all about educating people, who then go on to educate others and thereby protect our planet.
In our program, you will find a wide range of integrated courses that address the scientific aspect of key environmental problems at the intersection of biology, chemistry, physics and the geosciences.
With related courses in engineering and environmental policy, you will learn to appreciate the challenge of finding environmental solutions that will work in the modern world. Areas of concentration include ecology, environmental geosciences, energy and environmental physics, and environmental engineering and technology.
One of the most distinctive aspects of studying environmental sciences at Union is our extraordinary mix of field programs, which run the gamut from understanding geothermal power in Iceland and evaluating Atlantic fisheries to studying biodiversity in the Great Barrier Reef. On campus, the Union community comes together around many sustainability efforts. Among them are Octopus’s Garden, an organic community garden that provides produce for the campus organic café and the local community; an energy conservation competition; and the Presidential Green Grants, which support environmentally sustainable projects.
With its emphasis on examining complex environmental issues from multiple perspectives and opportunities for significant field work, our environmental science major prepares students for careers in the sciences as well as in medicine, law, journalism, government and other fields.
What some of our graduates are doing:
- AmeriCorps stewardship technician, The Nature Conservancy
- Anesthesiologist, Maimonides Medical Center
- Assistant district attorney, Bronx County
- Bioacoustician, Alaska Fisheries Science Center
- Community relations manager, Salt Mind Productive Workspace
- Marine habitat research specialist, National Marine Fisheries Service
- Medical writer, Yale New Haven Hospital
- M.S. candidate, environmental change and global sustainability, University of Helsinki
- Staff scientist, Green Environmental, Inc.
- Veterinarian, Valley Animal Hospital