Degree: Bachelor of the Arts
Political science at Union offers small classes where you get to know your peers and professors, real-life political experience through field learning that complements classroom learning, and research projects that allow you to delve into a topic that fascinates you.
Courses and requirements
United States Politics
Your faculty-mentored independent research is an intensive two-term project that serves as the capstone experience for the major. It may focus on original political science research, political action, political art or applied public policy. You’ll have a chance to influence community politics by working closely with local organizations. For instance, our students have become part of the political process by evaluating the Schenectady County Drug Court and writing a juvenile justice reform proposal, and they have carried out research for several community organizations.
Internships and study abroad
Internships are a vital part of your Union education. The Department of Political Science runs internship programs in Albany with the New York State Legislature and in Washington, D.C. There are also continuing internships with government agencies in Schenectady County, including the offices of the public defender and district attorney, social services agency, advocacy groups and non-profit organizations. To develop a global perspective, political science majors complete a foreign experience requirement. You can study a language or participate in one of Union's many full terms abroad.
Beyond the classroom
Zeta Upsilon, Union's award-winning chapter of Pi Sigma Alpha, the national Political Science Honor Society, sponsors a number of speakers, panel discussions and activities. Some students contribute to The Pi Sigma Alpha Undergraduate Journal of Politics, the premier national student research publication in the field. Students also participate in intricate simulations of the political process through Union’s Model United Nations course. This academically rigorous approach to the Model U.N. conference contrasts with that of other schools, where participation is of a more informal nature, usually as part of a club.
- Attorney, Gouslton & Storrs
- Brand strategist/fashion writer/social media manager, self-employed
- Manhattan borough commissioner, New York City Department of Parks & Recreation
- CEO and co-founder, Measure (Drone as a Service®)
- Chief marketing officer, General Electric
- Deputy NYC press secretary for U.S. Senate Democratic Leader
- Director of communications, Snap Inc
- National Hockey League agent
- Senior director of diversity, equity and inclusion for the World Wildlife Fund (WWF)
- Senior managing shareholder at Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berlowitz
- Senior personal technology columnist, The Wall Street Journal
- Staff director, Western Hemisphere Subcommittee, U.S. House Committee on Foreign Affairs
- Tech columnist, The Wall Street Journal
- U.S. press officer, Center for Reproductive Rights
Connect with Union
Questions about this major? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Ready to apply? Click the button below.