Spanish and Hispanic Studies
Degree: Bachelor of Arts
As a Spanish and Hispanic studies major at Union, you will enjoy a dynamic journey across Spain, Latin America and U.S. Latino communities through an array of exceptional course offerings, terms abroad, extracurricular activities and interdisciplinary initiatives.
Courses and requirments
- Interdepartmental Major
Immerse yourself in Spanish life on terms abroad in Spain and Argentina. In Spain, students live with a host family in Seville and take courses through Union’s partnership with Spanish Studies Abroad. One course in a specialized area of Spanish literature or culture is taught by the Union faculty member leading the program. There are optional internships in health and immigration.
A faculty-led winter term in Cordoba, the second largest city in Argentina, combines classroom study with numerous field trips. A winter break mini-term in Argentina focused on social movements and human rights features two weeks in Buenos Aires and one week traveling in Patagonia. Study is divided between classroom presentations and visits to locales where activists are engaged in social, economic and environmental justice movements.
The Union College Spanish Club promotes the language and cultures of the Spanish-speaking world through films, lectures, social gatherings, cooking classes and the weekly Spanish Table in Reamer Campus Center, where you will lunch and learn informally with your peers and faculty.
- Editorial assistant, Pearson Education
- Ed.M. candidate, Teachers College, Columbia University
- Emerging markets expert, Mirae Asset Global Investments LLC
- Estate planning attorney, Kirkland & Ellis
- J.D. candidate, Texas A&M University School of Law
- Litigation associate, Goulston & Storrs PC
- Operations analyst, Citibank
- Research assistant, National Institute of Health
- Resident physician, emergency medicine, Boston Medical Center
- Senior talent operations manager, Ro
- Spanish teacher, School of the Holy Child
- Spanish and ESL teacher, Chappaqua Central School
- U.S. director, Idiomatic Language Services
Connect with Union
Questions about this major? Contact MLLChair@union.edu. Ready to apply? Click the button below.