All members of the campus community are required to have a photo identification card. Multifunctional, ID cards are digital keys to residence halls, athletic facilities, and academic spaces. They allow transactions at the bookstore and in dining locations, and act as library cards. These cards also identify you as a member of the Union community. When you are on campus, you should carry your card with you.
ID Card Photos
Faculty and staff in need of ID cards can visit the Card Access Office in College Park Hall to have their photos taken.
Incoming first-year and transfer students should visit the Card Access Office in College Park Hall to have their photos taken during business hours.
If your card is malfunctioning, ask:
- Do I hear a beep when I use a card reader? If not, come to College Park Hall to request a replacement.
- Does the card reader flash green but the door not open? Call Campus Safety at (518) 388-6911. An officer will come out to determine what might be causing the problem.
- Does the card reader flash red? You might not have access to the space or it might be outside hours when access is allowed.
- Is a dining reader or a stand-alone lock having trouble reading your card? Come to College Park Hall and we will help you.
ID Card Care
It is important that you take good care of your ID card. Please try to avoid the following:
- Punching a hole in your card
- Leaving your card with your cellphone on a wireless charger
- Leaving your card in direct sunlight (on the dash of a car)
- Using your card as an ice scraper or scraping tool
- Bending or twisting your card
- Re-laminating your card
- Machine washing your card
- Exposing your card to extreme heat or open flames (clothes dryer or clothes irons)
- Exposing your card to organic solvents, thinners, mineral spirits, etc.
- Immersing your card in alcohol (isopropyl, ethanol, methyl)
- Biting or holding your card in your teeth
- Pounding your card with a pen or tool
Please do not use your card for purposes other than access or identification.
ID Card Replacement
To replace a lost or broken card, visit the Card Access Office in College Park Hall.
If the card is broken, please do not throw it away. Bring it with you so it can be inspected. Cards damaged by regular wear and tear will be replaced free of charge.
A $25 fee will be charged for damage caused by other means.
Students residing in card access buildings may be issued a temporary card while they wait for their replacement (generally available the next business day). Please return the temporary card when you pick up your new ID. Failure to do so will result in an additional $25 charge. Replacement IDs not claimed within a week’s time may result in deactivation of temporary cards.
Please note that temporary cards will not be issued for magnetic stripe failures, or to persons belonging to social organizations who do not reside within the organizations’ buildings.
Access to Buildings & Spaces
During this pandemic, guidelines and restrictions are continually evolving. With that in mind, we will evaluate access requests for buildings and spaces on a case-by-case basis. Please submit requests to email@example.com or call the Card Access Office.