Before Your First Day
Get To Know Our Benefits
Learn about Union's benefits:
A comprehensive review of the benefits is available in the Benefits Guide. Additionally, benefits will be covered at orientation. Kelly Milkins, Associate Director of Benefits, firstname.lastname@example.org or (518) 388-6435, is available to discuss any benefit questions.
Our Town, Our Region
To learn more about Schenectady and the New York State Capital Region, please visit https://www.union.edu/careers/area. A lot of good information is available here.
Please also check out the bike tour video of Schenectady featuring President Harris. In this video President Harris is biking around Schenectady and sharing some of his favorite spots around town that are all walkable from the College.
Your First Day
- Obtain your Union College ID and parking permit (if applicable) from Campus Safety in the College Park Hall (CPH) main lobby. CPH is building 163 on the Campus Map.
- Please bring your vehicle registration. Parking permits are $15 per calendar year. Campus Safety accepts cash or cards.
computer & system access
Please contact the ITS Help Desk at ext 6400 to obtain your temporary password. Please update your password and work with ITS and/or a team member to learn how to access Union systems and online resources.
If you will be working remotely for the College, please discuss VPN access with ITS. ITS instructions are available at https://union.teamdynamix.com/TDClient/1831/Portal/KB/?CategoryID=10536.
- Please set up your voicemail greeting(s). Information on how to use the voicemail system (Unity Web Inbox) can be found online at https://union.teamdynamix.com/TDClient/1831/Portal/KB/ArticleDet?ID=54549.
- If you will be working remotely for the College, please discuss Jabber phone access with ITS. If you have specific questions or have trouble setting up your voicemail or Jabber, please contact ITS at ext 6400.
- Explore Campus
Get To Know The Style Guide
Before creating any materials for your department, familiarize yourself with the Union College Style Guide: https://www.union.edu/communications/communications-policies/style-guide.
Please explore training opportunities at https://www.union.edu/human-resources/training-opportunities, including:
- Unlimited access to LinkedIn Learning
- Employee Scholarship Program
Your First Week
In the coming weeks, you will be receiving an email invitation(s) to complete required training. The required training may include:
- NYS Mandatory Sexual Harassment & Title IX training
- EHS related trainings
If you do not receive an invitation to any training by the end of your first month, please reach out to Human Resources.
Meet the HR Team
Familiarize yourself with the HR Team at https://www.union.edu/human-resources/hr-staff. We are all here to help.
Review the Holiday Calendar
Take a few minutes to review the calendar of paid holidays at https://www.union.edu/human-resources. Click the Holiday Calendar link on our HR home page.
Your First Month
Review DEIB Resources
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Resources
As an employee at Union College there are many opportunities to get involved and contribute to enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Location on campus: Reamer Campus Center 304
Review the Around U: Resource Guide.
Consider Joining Campus Listservs
Now that you have gotten settled in more, consider requesting access to the following listservs in order to connect with others on campus.
- Social listserv
- Family Friendly listserv
- Open to all employees
- Provides a space for members to share thoughts, ideas, and/or activities that are geared towards families, parenting, and children.
- To join this listserv
- Navigate to the "Groups" screen through your Gmail by clicking the 3x3 set of dots near the top right of your email screen.
- Select the "Groups" icon. (You may have to scroll down.)
- Click on "All Groups" on the left side menu. Enter "family" into the search bar at the top and hit enter. Familyfriendly@union.edu should come up as the only option. Click "Join Group" to join.
- If you have trouble, please email Matt Milless to be added.
- Open to all employees