A story about a new three-story residence hall being built at Roger Hull Place and Park Place was the most viewed article of the year on the College’s news site.
The July 24 story garnered more than 4,000 unique page views, an indication that interest is high for the 80-bed building consisting of fully furnished four-, three-and two-bedroom apartments.
The news received nearly twice the clicks as the second most popular story, a feature on the new class of Minerva Fellows. Each spring, a group of seniors is selected to travel the globe to work in developing countries with a social entrepreneurial organization.
An April story on the city of Schenectady’s parade honoring the men’s hockey team for winning the national championship was the third most viewed story, followed by Commencement coverage in June and a list of Prize Day winners in May.
On social media, the most popular Facebook post of the year was on the night of April 12, moments after the hockey team’s historic win at the Frozen Four in Philadelphia, with the words “National Champions!!!!!!”
The most popular tweet, in May, referenced an outdoor movie being shown at West, “We’re the Millers,” directed by Rawson Thurber ‘97. The Union alum retweeted to his thousands of followers.
Union’s award-winning news site garnered nearly 36,000 unique views this year, making it one of the College’s most popular web pages.
The 10 most viewed stories of 2014:
1. College to build residence hall for upperclass
2. Meet the 2014 Minerva Fellows
3. It’s electric: A salute to U
4. Class of 2014 honored at Union’s 220th Commencement
5. 2014 Prize Day winners
6. Commencement to feature international leader in study of HIV/AIDS
7. Two Union students named Watson fellows
8. Meet the Watson nominees: Four seek to follow their passion
9. Power play: New lights for Messa Rink highlight summer projects
10. Tucker West ’17 goes for the gold in Sochi