Dozens of faculty and students are participating in the 40th annual conference of the New York African Studies Association, which Union is hosting on Friday, April 3, in College Park Hall.
The conference – the theme of which is “Africa, Its Diaspora, and Laws” – is to feature a variety of presentations starting at 11 a.m.
- Prof. Deidre Butler will present Union’s Africana Studies program.
- Student leaders will discuss Union’s African-American organizations.
- Prof. Robert Hislope will present on “Musical Expression and Political Repression” in a session moderated by Prof. Lorraine Cox.
- Prof. William Garcia will moderate a panel on media and Africa.
- Six Union students will discuss the Civil Rights and Africa mini-terms in a session moderated by Prof. Melinda Lawson.
Prof. Cheikh Ndiaye and Prof. Butler are organizing events on Friday. Albany College of Pharmacy and Albany Law School are hosting events on Saturday.
The full program is available at the NYASA web site.