This summer, the College is restoring a monument dedicated in honor of John Howard Payne, who attended Union between 1806 and 1808. Payne is the author of the popular ballard, "Home, Sweet Home."
Built in 1911 and dedicated at the College’s 115th commencement, the 67-ton monument is the centerpiece of Payne Gate, a 90-foot-wide gateway that replaced the Blue Gate as Union’s main entrance. It was designed by George B. Post & Sons, the architect of Alumni Gymnasium.
To read a story in the Times Union, click here.
To read about the project on the College's news site, click here.