Eight Union College seniors traveled to New Orleans to present their research at the 255th American Chemical Society National Meeting.
They are: Thomas Williamson, Gregory Hayner, Jessica Maung, Rachel Riley, Kaya Cooley, Angus McReynolds, Lauren O’Connor and Alexandra Pagano. These students performed senior thesis research under the direction of one or more of the following Chemistry Department faculty members: Michael Hagerman, Joanne Kehlbeck, Laura MacManus-Spencer and Margot Paulick.
Also, the Union College Chemistry and Biochemistry Club received a Commendable Student Chapter award at the meeting. Officers of the Union College Chemistry & Biochemistry Club, an ACS Student Chapter, presented a poster on their successful activities.
Professor Mary Carroll also attended the conference. She participated in ACS governance activities in her roles as Councilor for the Eastern New York ACS Section, vice chair of the ACS Council Policy Committee and co-chair of the ACS Board-CPC Task Force on Governance Design.
The Union contingent met up with alumni for a dinner arranged by Union’s Office of Alumni and Parent Engagement.
Union presentations in the Division of Colloid & Surface Chemistry poster session:
- COLL 187 “Functionalization of CdSe nanoparticles for use in solar nanocomposites” Angus McReynolds, Joanne D. Kehlbeck, Michael E. Hagerman
Union presentations in the Division of Carbohydrate Chemistry poster session:
- CARB 58 “Synthesis and evaluation of cell-permeable trehalose analogues for the protection of mammalian cells” Thomas E. Williamson, Margot G. Paulick
- CARB 59 “A kinetic study of porcine liver esterase hydrolysis of cell-permeable analogues of trehalose” Greg Hayner, Austin M. Bannister, Margot G. Paulick
- CARB 61 “Synthesis and evaluation of butyrylated trehalose analogues for the protection of mammalian cells” Rachel A. Riley, Margot G. Paulick
Union presentations in the Division of Environmental Chemistry poster session:
- ENVR 526 “Analysis of the characterization and toxicity of ultraviolet filter chemical (UVFC) octyl dimethyl para-aminobenzoic acid (OD-PABA) photoproducts” Lauren O’Connor, Jessica Maung, Laura MacManus-Spencer, Margot G. Paulick
- ENVR 527 “Photolysis and cellular toxicity of the organic ultraviolet filter chemical 2-ethylhexyl-4-(dimethylamino)benzoate (OD-PABA) and its photoproducts.” Jessica Maung, Lauren O’Connor, Margot G. Paulick, Laura MacManus-Spencer
- ENVR 613 “Synthesis and characterization of organically modified montmorillonite for sequestration of perfluoroalkyl acids in contaminated water” Kaya Cooley, Laura MacManus-Spencer, Michael E. Hagerman
- ENVR 614 “Synthesis and characterization of organically modified hectorites for sequestration of perfluoroalkylacids from drinking water” Alexandra Pagano, Kaya Cooley, Laura MacManus-Spencer, Michael E. Hagerman
Union presentations in the Successful Student Chapters poster session, sponsored by the Division of Chemical Education:
- CHED 1920 “Inspiring passion and educating others through chemistry and biochemistry” Alexandra Pagano, Jessica Maung, Lauren O’Connor, Rachel A. Riley, Margot G. Paulick