Apply for Financial Aid

The application process is different for new and returning students.  Please select the student status that applies:

***ALERT: Change to the way you log in to the FAFSA***

The Sign-in process for FAFSA on the Web and other federal financial aid websites (, NSLDS Student Access) has changed effective May 10, 2015.  All students and parents will need to create an FSA ID - a user-selected username and password. The FSA ID will replace the Federal Student Aid PIN to improve security. Your FSA ID confirms your identity when you access your financial aid information and electronically sign Federal Student Aid Documents.  Only the owner of the FSA ID should create his or her own account.  For more information, please refer to the FSA ID Guide

Methods for submitting required tax information:

When completing the application process for the academic year, please note that tax returns (1040, 1040A, 1040EZ forms) are no longer accepted for verification of student and parent income. Our office collects IRS tax return transcript information to comply with current tax verification requirements.  Families can use either the FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) or they can submit an official Federal Tax Return Transcript(s) to our office to verify income.  Both methods are explained in detail below.

Time frames for using either option:

  • Electronic tax filers - Wait 2 to 3 weeks after submitting your return.
  • Paper filers - Wait 6 to 8 weeks after mailing your return.

IMPORTANT EXCEPTION: All tax filers who had additional federal taxes due in 2015 will have to wait 2 to 3 weeks (electronic filers) or 6 to 8 weeks (paper filers) after April 15 before using the DRT or requesting transcripts. The IRS is not processing any returns that result in taxes due, regardless of whether you submitted payment in full, until after April 15.


Tax return data is transferred from the IRS website into your FAFSA when you use the DRT.  Please do not make any changes to the transferred data prior to signing and submitting the FAFSA.  In keeping with Union's sustainability efforts, we encourage families to employ this option if they are eligible.

You are not eligible to use the FAFSA DRT if:

  • An amended tax return (form 1040X) was filed
  • No federal tax return was filed
  • The federal filing status on the 2015 return was "Married, Filing Separately"
  • A Puerto Rican or other foreign tax return was filed
  • Marital status changed after December 31, 2015
  • You are a victim of identity theft.  In this case, call the IRS at 1-800-908-4490 and they will provide a printout of your return that we will accept for verification purposes.

Follow the steps below to use the IRS DRT

  1. Go to and select "Login."
  2. Enter the student's name, social security number, and date of birth.
  3. If you have already submitted a FAFSA this year, you will have the option to "Make FAFSA Corrections."
  4. Enter the Student's PIN and password and click "Next."
  5. Select the "Financial Information" section.
  6. Questions regarding Parent Tax Information are asked in this section to determine whether the Parent is eligible to transfer their tax return information using the DRT. If all answers to the questions are No, the website will give you the option to enter your PIN and link you to the IRS website.  Click "Link to IRS."
  7. Enter the information for the main tax filer (the person listed first on your tax return) on this page exactly as it appears on your tax return, including social security number, date of birth, filing status, and address.  Click "Submit."
  8. If the IRS is able to confirm your identity, your tax information will appear.  Choose "Transfer My Tax Information" and click "Transfer Now."
  9. You will be directed back to the FAFSA website.
  10. If the Student has filed a federal tax return, repeat steps 6 through 9 using the Student Information.
  11. Once this process is complete, continue to the Sign and Submit section of the FAFSA and choose "Submit my FAFSA now." Both the student and the parent need to (re)sign and submit the FAFSA at this time.

If any changes are made to the data transferred from the IRS, the Financial Aid Office will require a copy of your official IRS Tax Return Transcript, (see instructions below).

Keep in mind the following when you order your transcript:
  1. Make sure that you have the taxpayer's social security number (for joint filers please use the social security number of the filer whose name appears first on the tax return).
  2. Make sure the address you use in this process is the address the IRS has on file. In most cases this will be the address on your most recent return. If you do not know the correct address, contact your local post office, they will be able to provide this information to you.
  3. For 1040X (Amendment return) Filers, please submit all of the following to the Financial Aid Office:
    • IRS Tax Return Transcript
    • Signed Form 1040X
  4. If you are "Married, Filing Separately," please submit an IRS Tax Return Transcript for both individuals.

Methods for Ordering a Tax Return Transcript(s)

  • The IRS will allow you to order your transcript(s) online or by mail using IRS Form 4506-T.  This form is available on the IRS website.  Do not have the tax return transcript mailed to our office, please have the tax return transcript mailed to the address on your tax return and then forward the tax return transcript to our office by mail or fax.
It will take approximately 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives your request for you to receive your transcript(s).