Title IX

Reporting Sexual Misconduct

If you or someone you know may have experienced sexual assault or harassment of any kind, let someone know.

When such incidents occur and are brought to our attention, Union's trained Title IX administrators will offer help and support to end the misconduct, prevent further incidents and remedy the effects.

We can help you:

  • connect with key on- and off-campus resources
  • understand your rights and responsibilities under Title IX and Union's Sexual Misconduct and Harrassment Policy
  • file an official report with the College
  • file a criminal complaint
  • access supportive academic, residential and other measures

We encourage you to seek help even if you are not sure if a violation has occurred. There are private and confidential options available both on and off campus at all times.

Please note that students acting in good faith who disclose any incident of sexual misconduct will not be subject to the College’s Code of Conduct for violations of the Alcohol and Drug Use Policy occurring at or near the time of the reported incident.

Reporting options

Get confidential help

The following individuals and offices will not report crimes to law enforcement or College officials without your permission, except under extreme circumstances, such as a health or safety emergency.

Union College Sexual Assault Resource Hotline: (518) 388-6600

Wicker Wellness Center

  • Health Services: (518) 388-6120
  • Counseling Center: (518) 388-6161

Ellis Hospital Emergency Department: 1101 Nott St., Schenectady, (518) 243-4121

Sexual Assault and Crime Victim Services (Planned Parenthood): (518) 346-2266

Schenectady County YWCA Domestic Violence Hotline: (518) 374-3386

Employee Assistance Program (EAP): 1 (800) 828-6025 (for faculty and staff only)

Private options

These offices will maintain your privacy to the greatest extent possible. Information will be relayed only for investigative purposes.

Union College Title IX Coordinator: Trish Willams, Senior Associate Dean of Students and Interim Title IX Coordinator: Reamer Campus Center Room 306 (518) 388-6865 or (518) 388-6116

  • Note: Conversations will be kept private, but the Title IX coordinator is required to take some form of action to prevent further acts from occurring on our campus.

Campus Safety: College Park Hall, (518) 388-6911

Dean of Students: Reamer Campus Center Room 306, (518) 388-6116

New York State Police Sexual Assault Resource Hotline: 1 (844) 845-7269

Schenectady Police Department: (518) 382-5200 or 911 for an off-campus emergency

  • Note: Filing a police report can be done simultaneously with filing a complaint with the College. It does not obligate you to pursue legal action, but it can help preserve physical evidence.


Complainant: The individual who reports being subjected to discrimination, harassment or related retaliation, or other prohibited conduct

Respondent: The individual responding to the complaint

Adviser: A person who provides support and assistance to a complainant or a respondent

Retaliation: Any adverse action or threat against an individual for making a report of prohibited conduct, including intimidation, harassment and coercive behavior

FAQs for a reporting party

  • What do I do after I have filed a complaint of sexual misconduct?

    After filing, complete the Reporting Party Statement and submit it to the Title IX coordinator.

    You may also wish to seek confidential support.

    Students: Contact the Counseling Center at (518) 388-6161 or Health Services at (518) 388-6120 to schedule an appointment. Both are located in the Wicker Wellness Center.

    Faculty and staff: Contact the Union College Employee Assistance Plan (e4healthEAP) at 1 (800) 828-6025.

    The Title IX coordinator can also provide additional resources.

  • What does the sexual misconduct adjudication process look like?

    Union College has three distinct grievance procedures that depend upon the responding party’s relationship with the College:

    If the allegation is against a student of the College, Appendix A of the Sexual Misconduct Policy would apply.

    If the responding party is a faculty member of the College, Appendix B would apply.

    If the responding party is an employee of the College, Appendix C would apply.

    If you have questions about the process, please contact the Title IX coordinator. Depending on the nature of the complaint, an investigation or panel adjudication may not be necessary.

    For more information, please visit the Sexual Misconduct Policy page.

  • Can I have someone support me through this process?

    Yes. Both the reporting party and the responding party can have an adviser of their choice.

    The Title IX coordinator can explain the process for addressing complaints of sexual misconduct and choosing an adviser. An adviser is any individual selected by the reporting or responding party, including legal counsel.

    • One adviser is permitted. That person must sign the Limited Disclosure/Non-Retaliation Acknowledgement.

    • The reporting party or responding party may choose to have the adviser attend meetings with the investigators, the Title IX coordinator or other administrators, as well as appear before an adjudication panel.

    • The adviser may provide the reporting party or responding party with advice during these meetings, when appropriate.

    • The adviser is not permitted to argue, advocate or present the case for the reporting party or responding party.

    • The adviser is not permitted to directly address investigators, administrators or the adjudication panel.

    • The reporting and responding parties and their respective advisers may ask the Title IX coordinator questions.

    • The College reserves the right to remove or dismiss advisers from meetings who become disruptive, do not abide by the restrictions, or intentionally delay the investigation or adjudication process.
  • Can I file charges on campus and off campus?

    Yes. The reporting party has the right to pursue both an on-campus and off-campus resolution of a complaint as well as a civil and/or criminal resolution.

    It is up to the reporting party to decide how they want to proceed.

    The College’s processes will move forward regardless of any criminal or civil legal action pursued.

    The Title IX coordinator can provide information about for off-campus options, including the involvement of local or state police agencies.

  • Should I be afraid of retaliation if I report?

    Union prohibits retaliation against an individual or group who has reported an allegation of sexual misconduct.

    Retaliation is also prohibited against anyone who takes part in the conduct process in response to an allegation.

    Retaliation is defined as conduct that threatens, intimidates, harasses, coerces or in any other way seeks to discourage a reasonable person from participating in the conduct process.

    Retaliation can be committed by or against any individual or group of individuals, not only a responding party or reporting party.

    The College will take immediate and responsive action to any report of retaliation and will pursue disciplinary action as appropriate.

    An individual reporting prohibited conduct is entitled to protection from any form of retaliation following a report that is made in good faith, even if the report is later not proven.

    In addition, Union College affords rights to parties involved in sexual misconduct cases. Please review the Sexual Misconduct Policy for a complete list of rights, and information about prohibited conduct and the associated grievance process.


Under the sexual misconduct adjudication process, the following forms may be needed. If you have questions, please contact the Title IX coordinator.

Limited Disclosure/Non-Retaliation Acknowledgement
This form is used to protect the rights of the reporting party and the respondent. It includes a checklist of points to make sure you understand the conditions for moving forward.

Notice of Appeal
Both the reporting and responding parties are entitled to one appeal of an adjudication panel’s decision. An appeal must be filed within seven days after meetings with the administrative team handling the case.

Complaint Form
You must complete this form to file a disciplinary complaint against a member of the Union College community.

Complainant Statement
You must submit a written statement detailing the allegations of sexual misconduct to file a disciplinary complaint against a member of the Union College community.

Respondent Statement
In response to the allegation set forth in the complaint form, you must submit a written statement that contains a full recollection of the alleged incident.