Can mask requirements be relaxed for individuals who are fully vaccinated? [Added 4/29/2021]
Based on recent CDC recommendations, fully vaccinated persons can gather with other fully vaccinated persons without wearing masks or remaining physically distanced.
Based on these new guidelines, we are providing the following updates to our on-campus protocols.
- If you are fully vaccinated* and with others who are fully vaccinated you can gather in small groups outside without a mask and without social distancing.
- As a reminder, regardless of vaccination status, if you are outdoors and at least 6 feet from others, you do not need to wear your mask.
- If you are fully vaccinated* and with others who are fully vaccinated you can gather in small groups inside private spaces (residence hall room, private office) without a mask and without social distancing. Classrooms, hallways and other public spaces cannot be used for this purpose even with the door shut.
- While the CDC did not define small groups, we recommend that you consider the size of your space. For example, we continue to believe that a small group in a residence hall room should be approximately 4 people. Groups of fully vaccinated individuals gathering in groups should follow our current capacity guidelines and event guidelines. As the percentage of our community that is vaccinated increases, we will be able to further relax restrictions on gathering sizes.
- The College acknowledges that not all community members are vaccinated and that some individuals may not be comfortable sharing their vaccination status with others. The relaxation of the mask mandate for small indoor gatherings is therefore only available when the parties voluntarily disclose their vaccination status and arrive at a mutual decision that the gathering presents no risk to the health and safety of the parties.
If I have been vaccinated do I have to quarantine?
Once you are fully vaccinated, you will not be required to quarantine if you have contact with a known positive individual. (Note: Fully vaccinated means that two weeks have passed since your Johnson and Johnson vaccine or two weeks have passed since your 2nd dose of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine.)
If I have been vaccinated do I have to participate in the mandatory campus testing?
Effective April 19, once you are fully vaccinated and your vaccination record is uploaded in emocha, you will no longer be required to participate in campus testing. If you would like to continue testing, you can sign up using the scheduling link.
Please note, you should continue recording your daily attestation in emocha.
If I test positive after I have been fully vaccinated, what will I need to do?
You will be required to isolate for 10 days from the point of your symptom onset or the date of your positive test.
If I have been vaccinated but do not feel well, what should I do?
Students should report your symptoms in the emocha app and contact Health Services at (518) 388-6120 immediately. They will bring you in for an exam and possible covid testing.
Am I eligible for a vaccine?
As of April 6, all New York residents (including students living on or around campus) above the age of 16 may be vaccinated in New York. As a reminder, Union College strongly encourages all members of our community--students, faculty and staff--to be vaccinated if they are able as they become eligible.
Where can I schedule a vaccine?
There are several sites that list available vaccine appointments. You may need to look at more than one site before finding an appointment time and location that works best for you. The Schenectady County COVID Vaccine site lists several options and will provide updates when additional vaccination sites become available. To find the latest information, visit the section “Where to Schedule an Appointment/Resources.” If you prefer to make your appointment via phone, you can also call the New York State COVID-19 Vaccination Hotline at 1-833-NYS-4-VAX (1-833-697-4829).
How do I let the College know that I have been vaccinated?
We ask all students and employees to record your COVID vaccinations by uploading an image or pdf of your vaccination record using the emocha app or website. See the emocha instructions to learn more about upload options. Please note that if you got one of the vaccines that requires two doses, you will need to record each dose separately in emocha.
- If you are unable to get a COVID-19 vaccine, you may enter this information in emocha as well. Follow the same steps in the instructions above, enter your name and then select the option “I will not be vaccinated” under the “Have you been vaccinated?” question.
If you need assistance uploading your vaccination record, please contact emocha at (240) 343-9222 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to speak to a member of the Human Resources team, please contact Gwen Pulvirent at email@example.com or Bonnie Mortensen Szczerba at firstname.lastname@example.org. Students who have questions can email Health Services at email@example.com.
Will the College be supplying the vaccine?
The College continues to try to secure doses of the vaccine for students and employees. If we get additional doses, we will let the campus community know via email. While we advocate for doses for our Union community, we encourage you to seek the vaccine at the sites surrounding our campus in the meantime.