Degree: Bachelor of the Arts
As an English major at Union, you will study how great authors, from Melville to Morrison, have used literature to confront and engage with timeless questions about love, justice, truth and evil.
In small classes that encourage and illuminate the exchange of multiple perspectives, you will be exposed to historical, cultural, gender and author studies across continents and traditions. Guided by our esteemed faculty, you will learn to read thoughtfully, think analytically, and write and communicate with clarity. Through intensive reading, writing, research projects, oral presentations and discussions with your peers and professors, you will gain a nuanced understanding of the range and complexity of human behavior and endeavors.
Our courses cover a wide array of historical and cultural areas, such as Asian American Literature and Film, Discourses on the Vietnam War, Introduction to Black Poetry, Irish Literature and Film, Jewish Women Writers, Victorian Detective Fiction, Literature and Psychoanalysis, and Seminar on the Beatles and African-American Music. Or make your own claims about what it means to be human through creative writing workshops in fiction, non-fiction prose and poetry.
Research and internships
Our graduates work in advertising, business, communications, journalism, management, publishing, radio and television. Some have received prestigious awards, including Watson and Fulbright scholarships, and graduate fellowships. Others have gone on to attend top journalism, law or business schools, or pursued degrees in education and medicine.
What some of our graduates are doing:
- Assistant director, Alice Kaplan Institute for the Humanities, Northwestern University
- Associate editor, Pearson Education
- Author, short fiction and prose poetry
- Communications director, Governor Charlie Baker (Mass.)
- Editorial writer, US Weekly
- Fundraiser, Threshold Giving
- M.A. candidate, University College Cork, National University of Ireland
- Marketing assistant, LEGO Systems Inc.
- Senior editor, Delish.com
- Speech language pathologist, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Sports director and broadcaster
- Watson Fellow, focus on storytelling dance tradition
- Writer, application services, Epic