Degree: Bachelor of Arts
All students with a passion for music can find their niche at Union. With our diverse course offerings and a greater variety of performing ensembles than is typically found on a small liberal arts campus, you'll nourish your musical interests and expand your knowledge.
Courses and requirements
Union students are eager to perform on campus and in the community. Many of our courses provide opportunities to develop performance skills under the guidance of seasoned faculty and in final projects. Students also are able to perform in groups or solos in our many faculty-led ensembles, including the Union College Chorale, the Union College and Community Orchestra, and our Jazz, Japanese drumming and Early Music ensembles. Our students perform in local, national and international festivals and on tours.
Music facilities at Union, an all-Steinway school, are based in the Taylor Music Center. The centerpiece of the building is the Fred L. Emerson Foundation Auditorium, an intimate performance space used for student workshops, classes, rehearsals and recitals, as well as concerts and guest lectures by renowned scholars and guest artists. The building also houses classrooms, practice rooms, faculty offices and studios designed specifically for music technology, early music and global musics.
Union’s faculty-led winter break mini-term on the Indonesian island of Bali is an intensive study of the performing arts. It features daily group instruction with master performers in gamelan (Balinese orchestra of gongs and xylophones) and dance. Private lessons, performances and visits to key religious and architectural locations round out this program.
- Audio engineer, Stwertka Publishing
- Composer and sound designer
- Ethnomusicologist and assistant professor, Instituto de Música, Universidad Alberto Hurtado, Santiago, Chile
- Executive producer, community theater
- M.A. candidate in music business, NYU Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development
- Pianist and composer, self-employed
- Ph.D. candidate in ethnomusicology, Boston University
- Teacher and choir director, Culver Academies
Connect with Union
Questions about this major? Contact email@example.com. Ready to apply? Click the button below.