Financial Aid

Scholarships and Grants

Union College Scholarships and Grants

Presidential Scholarship is a merit-based scholarship offered in recognition of outstanding academic and personal achievements. Presidential Scholarships are awarded based on academic achievement as measured by the rigor of an applicant's high school curriculum, grades and class rank, and standardized test scores (if submitted). Union's merit scholarships range from $15,000 to $25,000 per year with larger awards going to the strongest students. These awards are automatically renewed for four years (12 terms) of full-time undergraduate study.

Henle Scholarship was established by David L. Henle '75 for Union College to recognize and support student scholars who demonstrate a unique combination of outstanding talents and accomplishments, academic excellence, and the promise of exceptional contribution and commitment to the College community. The Henle Scholarship is awarded to incoming first-year students and is automatically renewed for four years (12 terms) of full-time undergraduate study.

Examples of successful Henle applicants: a student who was described as "the epitome of a global citizen" for work with Tibetan immigrant families, and who traveled to Tibet to do a homestay and meet the Dalai Lama; a student who, in high school, pursued a senior project on hydroponic gardening, creating a full-scale produce section despite setbacks and sparking the student's interest in sustainability and alternative ways to grow food.

W. Howard Wright Scholarship provides a $20,000 annual gift to support outstanding full-time undergraduate students majoring in Mechanical Engineering in recognition of scholastic achievement.

Making U Possible Grant is available to students who apply for financial aid, but who otherwise would not qualify for need-based aid or would qualify for only minimal amounts. Families who have an EFC - as measured by the CSS Profile - up to $50,000 can expect a minimum of $30,000 in grant and scholarship assistance. Families with an EFC between $50,000 and $90,000 would be eligible for a minimum of $20,000. Students must reapply on an annual basis. Changes in income and/or household information (such as number of children enrolled as undergraduates) may impact the level of grant eligibility.

Union College Grant is offered to students who demonstrate need for financial assistance as measured through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the CSS Profile. Since this is a need-based grant, students must apply for these funds on an annual basis. Changes in income and/or household information (such as number of children enrolled as undergraduates) may impact the level of grant eligibility.

Federal and State Scholarships and Grants

Federal Pell Grants are awarded based on demonstrated federal need as determined by the FAFSA form. Awards range from $657 to $6,195. Full and part-time students are eligible for Pell Grants with a prorated amount used for part-time students. Students must file the FAFSA and submit supporting documentation as requested by the Financial Aid Office.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) are federal grants ranging from $100 to $900. They are offered to students who are Pell Grant recipients and demonstrate the most financial need. Full and part-time students are eligible for SEOG. To apply, students must file the FAFSA and submit documentation as requested by the Financial aid Office.

Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP)/Academic Opportunity Program (AOP)
To qualify for HEOP, a student must be a New York State resident and be economically and educationally disadvantaged. Union College has a similar program for non-New York residents, AOP. Need is met through a combination of state, federal, and institutional funds.

New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is funded by New York State for residents who are enrolled as full-time students. Awards range from $500 to $5,165 and are based on a family's New York State net taxable income. To apply, students must have completed the FAFSA as well as the TAP application. TAP eligibility is limited to the equivalent of four years of full time study.

The Yellow Ribbon Program provides additional funding for veterans. As a participant in the Yellow Ribbon program, qualified applicants must self-identify as Yellow Ribbon eligible on their admission application. Union College will fund up to four Yellow Ribbon students each year. These awards are on a first-come, first-served basis.

Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC)

ROTC programs are elective programs for students who desire commissions in the armed forces. Union students may enroll in ROTC programs of the Navy and Air Force at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy and of the Army at Siena College in Loudonville. The objective of ROTC programs is to develop professional officers who have acquired strong leadership and management skills and who have gained professional knowledge needed for future growth. ROTC students may be eligible for scholarships and other benefits available under two- and three-year programs of the selective services. Students interested in ROTC should contact one or more of the program representatives:

Air Force

Nicholas C. Graham, Lt Col, USAF
Commander, AFROTC Det 550
Phone: (518) 276-6236
AFROTC Info Sheet


Michael A. Dengler, GS
Scholarship Enrollment Officer
Phone: (518) 783-2477


Lieutenant Kristen Johnston
Lecturer of Naval Science
Phone: (518)276-8011