Financial Aid

Student Employment

Work-study at Union is based on need as determined by the FAFSA and CSS Profile. The program is administered by the college and offered to students as part of their financial aid package. Authorized earnings range from $1700 to $2200 for the year and the specific amount will be indicated on the financial aid offer letter. The pay rate for all work-study positions is $9.70 per hour.

Students will be able to view available positions in each department and apply directly through Handshake, a platform used by the Career Center, which also allows students to apply for internships, register for career related events, and schedule appointments with a career advisor. The Career Center creates accounts for all incoming students using their Union email addresses. Students who have not logged in previously, can access their account and set up a profile at Once logged into Handshake, follow these steps to view and apply for work-study positions:

  1. Select “Jobs” from the top menu list or left Jobs box
  2. Select “All Filters” under the keyword search bar
  3. In the Job Type section, check the box next to the Work - Study label
  4. Click “Show Results” on the right and you will be able to view all work-study jobs
  5. Scroll on the left side to view all positions; click on any position of interest; on the right, view position details and apply if you feel you meet the qualifications and would like to be considered for the position(s). Supervisors from the departments will receive an email every time you apply and will notify you as to whether or not you have been hired.

Work study earnings are not directly applied to the student’s account. Most students use their earnings for personal and book expenses. Students are able to make payments to their account from work study earnings, but this is not an automatic process.

Paychecks are issued bi-weekly for hours worked during the prior two weeks. Students can have a paper check sent to their campus mailbox or can have the check deposited directly into their checking account. Direct deposit is recommended, to sign up for this the student must complete the Direct Deposit Request Form and submit it to the Payroll Office.

Students who have not worked at Union previously need to complete employment paperwork with Human Resources before beginning work. At this time, students can complete the paperwork online. Visit the HR website, select 'New Employee Information', then 'New Student Employee Forms.' *Note: original documentation verifying the student’s identity is required for the I-9 form and must be brought in-person to Human Resources, located in College Park Hall. The list of acceptable documents can be found in the New Hire paperwork. Any questions, students should contact