Union offers innovative, optional Pre-Orientation programs to give incoming students a jump-start on their college experience. All programs will take place from August 30 - September 2, 2023. These programs are a great way to get settled into campus a few days early and to make connections with peers, student leaders and staff even before orientation begins. Choose from one of five experiences that offer discovery of local arts & culture, community engagement, leadership development, exposure to the outdoors, or exploring your personal wellness.
Full or partial funding may be available to cover Pre-O fees through Union's Making U Possible (MUP) initiative for students whose financial situation may limit their participation. The MUP funding request form will be available once registration opens. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
International Students are required to attend Global Orientation on Friday, September 1st and Saturday, September 2nd. F-1 Visa regulations require International Students to participate in this mandatory program, therefore International Students cannot also participate in a Pre-Orientation Program.
Our Five Pre-O Experiences
Arts & Culture Experience
The Arts & Culture Pre-Orientation Experience provides workshops for students who have a passion for the Arts which range from a spectrum of crafts, theater, and storytelling through cultural movement and expression. This Pre-Orientation program is designed to foster a sense of belonging by building connects among new student and student leaders with similar interests and working with professional artists and performers within our Capital Region Community and neighboring cities!
- Experience a range of small group workshops and activities including Poetry, Ceramics, Painting, Cultural Dance, Storytelling etc.
- Tour Proctors Theater.
- Adventure off campus to visit the Albany Institute of History and Art and Schuyler Mansion.
- Transition more easily into college life. By the time first-year orientation begins, new students will have made connects with their peers and started to find their way around campus.
Email us! ArtsPreO@union.edu
The Community Pre-Orientation is designed to further develop a student’s passion for community engagement and volunteerism. Students are introduced to downtown Schenectady with its many community service opportunities, dining experiences and cultural attractions. Working in small groups led by upper-class campus leaders, the Community Experience allows participants to create life-long friendships with both their classmates and older students, while bonding over service projects. This select experience is kept small by design—50 students will be accepted and grouped with 10 leaders to explore the city, enjoy local restaurants and participate in fun group activities.
- Get involved in the local community through volunteering. Over 10 non-profits are served during the program and the connections made last well into the school year.
- Transition more easily into college life. By the time first-year orientation begins, they will have made new friends and know their way around campus and Schenectady.
- Make meaningful connections with professional and student staff. They will get to know their group leaders—sources of great advice and inside information about Union—and make connections that last for their entire College experience….and beyond.
- Have fun and learn about Schenectady. The social portion of the program is a lot of fun! Schenectady has so much to do and see with lots of great restaurants very close to campus.
Contact the Kenney Community Center:
Why the Leadership Experience Pre-Orientation program?
This pre-orientation program is packed with fun activities and events that are designed to help new students get connected and involved on campus, learn important leadership skills, and get to know their peers.
Were you very involved in high school? Looking to get more involved than you were in high school? It doesn’t matter what your level of leadership experience was before coming to Union – this pre-orientation program will help you discover your interests and help you find your fit! Hit the ground running with the Leadership Experience Pre-Orientation program!
Personal and Team Leadership
Throughout the three days, we will explore what it means for you to be a leader. Leadership can come in many different forms and is not tied specifically to a position or title. You will participate in activities such as Leadership Mapping and small group activities to further understand what it means for you to be a leader on campus and in life.
You will also participate in various team building activities throughout the course of the program, including small and large group activities, team building on a ropes course, and more!
Leadership Through Service
Students will have the opportunity to participate in a service-learning project, giving back to the Schenectady community and will have a discussion on how service is important and why it matters in the world of leadership within the Union community, the Capital Region, and beyond.
Leadership, Diversity, & Inclusion
Students will spend time learning about multiculturalism and inclusion, how that fits into successful leadership, and how you can integrate it into your own personal leadership on campus and beyond.
Contact Student Activities at (518) 388-6118
The Outdoor Pre-Orientation Experience is an adventure-based program that offers an array of wilderness exposure. Join your classmates as you begin your college experience in the great outdoors. The program offerings will be both challenging and rewarding, one you are sure to remember fondly! Participants will explore nature and the outdoors through a range of activities like hiking, high ropes, sports games, paddle boarding and canoeing. There will be plenty of opportunity for participants to get to know their peers, enjoy the outdoors, and have a great time!
- Have the opportunity to participate in different levels of wilderness exposure. Outdoor Activities are specifically designed to accommodate all levels of intensity.
- Engage with upper class Pre-O Leaders about their Union College experience gaining first hand insights into making the most of your time at Union.
- Make meaningful connections and friendships with other first year students that will last a lifetime!
Check back this summer for the Itinerary for Outdoor Pre-Orientation Experience!
Email us! email@example.com
The Wellness Pre-Orientation experience is designed to develop and enhance the holistic wellness of each of our participants. By engaging in both group and individualized activities on campus and in the surrounding community, participants will experience personal growth and develop insight among physical, mental, emotional, social, spiritual and intellectual domains. They will have the opportunity to develop strategies and skills to enhance individual wellness while learning how they can contribute to the overall well-being of the Union College community at large. Activities will include yoga, practicing self-care, engaging in an on-campus cooking class, exploring the outdoors, learning mindfulness and meditation practices, creative art endeavors and community service. While some events will include light physical activity, this program is specifically designed to be inclusive of all needs and abilities among our participants.
- Develop meaningful connections with peers and student leaders in the program.
- Practice strategies to relieve stress and anxiety while gaining self awareness to facilitate a confident and successful transition to college.
- Participants will be personally introduced to and interact with campus resources and providers who will be available to further support their wellness needs throughout their time at Union. Contributing offices and departments include but are not limited to Wicker Wellness, Eppler-Wolff Counseling Center, Union College Athletics, Health Services and Union Hospitality.
Email us! WellnessPreO@union.edu
Pre-O program registration will open on Monday, June 5, 2023. Registration link will be found on this page.
Pre-O programs run August 30- September 2. Students will arrive and move in to campus on August 30.
COST: $400 (automatically billed to your account)
The deadline to withdraw from programs without incurring a charge is Aug. 16. After Aug. 16, all charges are non-refundable.
*Please note: Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Financial Assistance - Union's Making U Possible
Again, full or partial funding may be available to cover Pre-O fees through Union's Making U Possible (MUP) initiative for students whose financial situation may limit their participation. The MUP funding request form will be available once registration opens. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
For more information about the First-Gen Experience please visit the Office of Intercultural Affairs - First Generation Student Services Webpage.
August 16, 2023 - Cancellations accepted through August 16
August 30, 2023 - Move in for Pre-Orientation
August 30 - September 2, 2023 - Pre-Orientation Experiences